Marine corps jeeps

At last my old mate has got himself a Jeep, its a 1942 Willys and it was used by the Marine Corps as it was fitted with radios and generator and still has the wartime applied camo in places can anyone direct me to more information on these vehicles please ?

Cheers RR.

For some reason I seem to remember reading that Marine Corps Jeeps had two towing loops on the front bumper, or am I just losing the plot ?:help:

Anyway, its always nice to hear of someone finding their perfect vehicle. Pics Pics Pics please!!!!

For some reason I seem to remember reading that Marine Corps Jeeps had two towing loops on the front bumper, or am I just losing the plot ?:help:

Anyway, its always nice to hear of someone finding their perfect vehicle. Pics Pics Pics please!!!!

Rings front and rear and hooks on front mate ......................

jeep park2012.jpg

jp2.jpg

Called by to see my mate today and took some pics of his Jeep

100_2868.jpg

100_2867.jpg

100_2866.jpg

At the moment he is considering his options on restoring it, I note today that there are no hooks or rings fitted though the floor has been patched where the belt for the generator went.

Could be, So it may or may not be a USMC Jeep there are as yet no signs of yellow stencils that and the lack of holes for hooks makes me wonder if it is a Marine Corps vehicle though it has the rectangular repair slot for the generator pulley that could be a Greek post war conversion.

Mechanicaly the jeep is very good and original no WOF or repro bits and once restored will be a great little jeep.

Cheers RR.

Edited by rampant rivet

What are the origins of it. Was it imported from the USA recently in which case it is not a Greek. I have some photos of Greek Jeeps imported in to the UK somewhere. I will see if I can find them

Surprisingly there are ex Greek Army Jeeps residing in the USA, I have an ex Greek army very original 1945 MB Jeep that was imported a few years ago from the USA to the UK, when the Greek Jeeps were sold off a lot of the nicer ones some 30-50? were bought by Sam Winer motors Inc. and shipped back to the USA...coals to Newcastle!

This was stenciled on the underside of the bonnet of my MB, It says in Greek the equivalent of "secure the bonnet"!

jeep pics 132.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

I have a '43 USMC Ambujeep; a Holden clone by the USMC. It has neither hooks or rings, though it looks as it in may have had the rings on the front bumper by the location of holes. I think it depended on the contract whether it had the rings and hooks, so the lack of those does not say it is or is not a USMC-used vehicle. Regarding the camo; I believe the colors were Forest Green, black and sand; not brown. Do a check on G503 and you will see several examples. Seeing original camo is always great however! The USMC did a poor job of spraying their camo and often sprayed the tires and pioneer tools; not nearly as neat as yours. Phil