Shorland Fuel Tank

Rangie

Hello,

Anyone able to help out with the main dimensions of a Mk3 Shorland fuel tank?

Also if the filler neck is central in the top plate?

I have a couple of partially obscured pictures of them in situ and a couple of top-fill series tanks for the fittings, but if anyone has a picture of a tank out on the floor I would most appreciate seeing it for reference! :cool2:

Mk3 Fuel Tank.jpg

Alec

Here you are Alec.

Measurements to follow tomorrow. Same size for Mk 1 & Mk 3, although mine is about an inch shorter. The base was rotted out & I could not drop the tank down through the chassis, the only way out was through the boot door. That required a reduction of an inch!

I have been told that it is possible to drop the tank down through the chassis as someone has done it but theirs was a Mk 3 based on a Series 3 mine is based on a 2A. Bit academic for me as the bottom & margins needed removal anyway.

Dscf0588a_zps8aa6d27e.jpg

Yes it does John! That rather surprised me because the sender in the Mk 1 is a SBH special, the same diagram is used in the civilian Mk 3 ISPL. But it doesn't identify the part no.

Looking in the military Mk 3 ISPL it uses the same picture & although there are till many SBH numbers the sender is identified as 6680-99-804-9852 given for TB1114-001 which seems to be a Smiths no & equates to Rover GLR1011.

That all matches for the S3 3/4 Ton ISPL :D

Note my tank has been modified to be 2" shorter. It was just to remove a rotted out base & to allow extraction from the boot hatch. It is supported on a wooden frame with rubber strips above. You might consider making it to a similar size as apart from ease of fitting/removal. It means there is a healthy gap so that mud/rain from the road thrown up into the drain hole doesn't then get held tightly against the tank to encourage rotting out again.

Dsc05092a_zpsc7edf631.jpg