Identifying manufacturer - British 10cwt GS trailers

The restoration of my 10cwt GS trailer continues at a glacial pace. One of the items missing is the data plate. It is possible to get reproductions of these but the data plate includes the initials of the manufacturer. I wonder therefore if it is possible to identify the manufacturer from the fittings - as these seem to differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The spring mounts on a Reynolds built trailer seem fabricated from sheet steel, whereas those on a trailer built by Orme Evans seem to be cast. SS Cars also use cast mounts - but these seem to be a different shape from those used by Orme Evans.

Is it at all possible for those with a data plate showing the manufacturer to post pictures of the spring mounts used on their trailers to act as a resource for others restoring these trailers.

There also seem to be differences in the way the support legs are fixed (screw or pin) as well as differences in the positioning of minor fittings - but it's difficult to fathom these all out.

On the basis of pictures on here, I think the trailer I have may have been built by Orme Evans (which ultimately became part of Brockhouse) but I'm not entirely sure. Does anybody have the Orme Evans Contract Number and census number range to populate a data plate. I'm assuming the plate would include OEL for Orme Evans Limited.

Thanks for any help you are able to give

sk

This one is for my No 1 Lightweight rather than a 10cwt GS, but as it Orme Evans might be of interest. Here are the details form Dataplate and detail of fabricated spring mount rather than cast:

Trailer, 10Cwt. Lightweight: No 1, Mk II

Make: Orme Evans. Contract: 7130 WD No. X5897412

IMG_4176 (Medium).JPG

The restoration of my 10cwt GS trailer continues at a glacial pace. sk[/quote

You and me both Simon..... We have an Orme Evans plate in a very corroded state and it differs from other makers in that its steel not brass. It's marked - chassis OE 6622 WD Number X5422162 and relates to contract S4302 for nearly 2000 GS and Mortar trailers.

I will try and sort out the contract details and census number info that I have which relates to makers and take a look at the trailer over the weekend.

David.

PS John's pictures are of a Transport Equipment Company (Group ?) made trailer which seems to be the last contract issued for 1650 Mortar and ammunition trailers

Edited by David B.

I've also been trying to figure out the differences, bit of a minefield.

Did all no.1 trailers have the front leg with a pin and the no.2 a clamped leg?

Carleton

I think both legs are ether clamped or pinned

I thought that the No1/No2 thing related to the type of hitch

No1 = hitch with separate arms on the frame

No2 = hitch as per the airborne trailer with arms as part of the hitch

but I could be wrong!

sk

I think both legs are ether clamped or pinned

I thought that the No1/No2 thing related to the type of hitch

No1 = hitch with separate arms on the frame

No2 = hitch as per the airborne trailer with arms as part of the hitch

but I could be wrong!

sk

I think youre right about the hitch. I actually prefer the look of the no.1 hitch.

Carleton

Hi Simon,

Not sure my particular trailers will help you.

But took these photos at Beltring about 5 yrs ago:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75239[/ATTACH]

think i can help on this one but im a bit slow getting replies on here sorry

The mortar trailer is mine if its of any help to people the data plate is a copy of the original which had been snapped in two.

any help on the id of airborne trailers post pics and we can workout who made them (side back hitch and underside)

regards neil

pm for more detail on mortar trailer