clansman cable tester

Does anyone know how the clansman cable tester boxes, currently on ebay work?

Do you need one on each end of the cable or some other shorting connector at the other end?

Hi there, yes a brilliant little bit of kit, just connect an audio lead from the audio socket on the tester to an audio socket on your 320, 351, 350 what ever you may have, (this picks up your supply to the tester box) then connect your length of coax feeder to each bnc socket and it will light up the red lights if theres no breaks in the feeder. There is also a micro bnc for testing the lead that is used on the PRC 350. I carry one of these testers in the pouch on the radio bergen, a nice way of testing the cable instead of a multimeter, regards Ian.

Hi

I have one of these.

There is a breakout box with 2 of each connector that connects to the 12 pin connector to enable almost all combinations to be tested.

I'll try to do a couple of pics tomorrow if it quits raining and I can do it in daylight.

As with the coax tester it is powered from a radio via a 7 pin cable.

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

It should be clearer with a few more photos ...

As an aside does anyone else have one of these - I am suspicious that I should have had 2 different breakout boxes with male & female of the 2 pin power and some other connectors rather than 2 of NSN 6625-99-622-5124 and would be happy to swap with someone who has 2 of the other kind ? This one has 2 x Harness 12 pin, 1 x 10 pin CPU male socket, 1 x 7 pin male, socket, 1 x 7 pin female socket and 1 x 2 pin male power socket.

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

DSCN9129.jpg

DSCN9130.jpg

DSCN9131.jpg

Does anyone know how the clansman cable tester boxes, currently on ebay work?

Do you need one on each end of the cable or some other shorting connector at the other end?

Hi guys, sorry thought it was this one you were asking about, regards Ian.[ATTACH=CONFIG]75294[/ATTACH]

Hi

To do continuity tests you need one each of the test adapter 5124 and the shorting adapter 5125 thus

Tester - 12 pin cable - 5124 - cable under test - 5125

The tester connects pin 1 via the shorting adapter to each of the other conductors in the cable under test lighting the green lamp if there is continuity.

As I understand it (and I have a 5125 in the post to find out) to do short circuit tests remove the shorting adapter 5125 from the end of the cable under test and turn the switch to each position in turn - if there is a short to another conductor the red lamp will light

Hope this helps!

Iain

• 1 month later...
What length replacement do you need ? I probably have something I can let you have for postage.

Iain

(Trying to decode "RBJ")

Rotary Base Junction - the thing with slip rings at the base of a turret.

Andy

Hello All,

I have one of these harness cable testers, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the user manual for it?

I don't think I have all the leads for it, as I only seem to have one short 12 core lead, a power lead with only a plug one end for the tester, bare wires the other, and a split 12 core lead that has a standard 12 way one end, a opposite one the other, and spured of a power lead. Almost seems this one you could put into the harness curcuit, and it would power the tester?

Can this tester test the whole harness curcuit with the control boxes still connected, or will it only test individual leads?

Are all 12 core harness leads the same, in as far as there are 12 core leads that are used for the VRC353 to the Aarafat.

Thay all have the same plugs on the end, but are they wired the same internally. I have tried to test a couple of leads that are definitly one for harness and one for 353, with this tester, and they seem to "pass" the same.

The reason that I ask is that I am trying to get to grips with the intercom curcuit in my fv432, and basically it won't work!

I can go to override at any of the stations and the tone can be heard, but with all the stations on intercom, nobody can talk to each other, neither can the radio be heard in the curcuit. I have managed to import "sound" into a CB2 in the curcit and be able to heard it at all stations, and even disconnect on harness lead and still hear it through the system, so guessing that the harness "ring" is intact?

Any help would be much apprieciated.

Dougy

Hi Dougy,

You need the cable tester and the shorting box as a minimum to test 12 way harness cables. Put the test box one end, shorting box at the other end, connect the test box to 24v power (12 v will work too) then spin the selector switch around to see which cores are open or closed.

If you get the adapter box too, then you can test all sorts of cables.

You use a short 12 way harness cable from the test box to the adapter box then any other cable you want to test goes between the adapter and the shorting box.

I will post you a pic if you like!

Excellent thanks for that.

Interesting that the adaptor box allows all types of cable to be tested, wondered why there were so many sockets on there.

Good news is that I have managed to get the intercom to work in the fv432. Turned out I had a couple of duff IB2/3s, the IB2 that I'd fitted was no good, and the IB3 I used to test was faulty aswell! Only managed to work it out by breaking the system down to two basic CB2s and the IB3. Still didn't work, swopped leads and CB2s ended up completely isolating the 432 system. As still not working, it dawned on me was that one of the only common things was the testing IB3. Went and dug another IB3 out and it worked. Slowly intergated the 432 system back in until I had the whole 432 system was reconnected, just not the original IB2.

Suppose the lesson is, just because I had fitted the nicest looking intercom boxes, that doesn't mean they will work!

Dougy

Yep, been there! Lovely looking IB2 that someone sold me, opened it up and it was literally half full of aluminium oxide powder.

Grotty old IB2, thick with sand and dust, broken knobs etc, works fine!

Or you could have a NOS IB2 that didn't work until you pulled it apart like I did to find that it was missing the nuts that hold the two circuit boards together (Friday special).

• 1 year later...