BAE Systems and Safety Devices collaborate on Scimitar 2 CVR(T) project

fesm_ndt

I got sent this in an email today and thought it was rather interesting http://interface.envirosend.co.uk/t/ViewEmail/r/B73C081F9D1BD558/F45B82C7289514EDDBC23BD704D2542D

I like this comment "More exciting than the challenge of completing the design was to watch the physical test when our ROPS on a fully loaded CVR(T) was dropped on its roof - the concrete came off worst."

I kinda thought that it definitely impedes visibility and adds a lot of extra height.

I guess that it is a need due to IED's can flip it over

the important bits are:

- We need the demo picture so we can put in the upside down tank thread :D

- When we going to see one restored at War and piece with a roll bar on it

The Safety Device guys are really nice and efficient to deal with and they have a very good track record

As I understood it there has been at least one incident where fatalities have occurred due to a vehicle travelling at speed over an IED, with the subsequent blast causing the vehicle to be flipped forwards..

You have to wonder how much more stuff they can go on adding to these vehicles though! As I have mentioned in other threads all the extra weight has caused problems with handbrakes slipping (which are basically comprised of brake bands gripping the main discs). This has been rectified in the short term by fitting Stormer handbrake mechanisms (more leverage), but a more permanent fix is now being sought, doing away with the brake bands altogether.

In the trinity of firepower, protection and mobility, CVRT's were probably always a bit too biased towards mobility so I guess they are now redressing the balance somewhat..