Treating rust on an in situ TUH fuel tank.

camrhee

I have recently purchased an RB44. Not from the last Withams tender thankfully, although no doubt at some point it did travel through there. There is some slight rust on the vehicle including the fuel tank. I intend to repaint the vehicle but not a full strip back. Rather then remove the fuel tank I wish to treat and paint the tank in situ. The rust is only superficial but I guess using a disc sander probably isn't wise so I was going to by hand use sandpaper and remove what I can. But I was then thinking of using 'kurust' and then special metals primer before painting. Will Kurust be a problem being used on a fuel tank (externally ofcourse!) or am I just best sanding and priming. Many thanks.

Few months ago Craig had that problem with our Canter lorry. Hand wire brush then Kurust then smooth Hammerite.

Watch when you buy the Kurust that you don't buy their dip for treating metal items make sure you get the milky stuff.

Being as its diesel, if your very careful, you could use a scotch brite wheel in a drill, they are very effective at removing rust and painthttp://catalogue.3m.co.uk/en_gb/gb-asd/Abrasive_Wheels/Unitised_Wheels/Scotch-Brite%E2%84%A2~Clean_%26_Strip_Unitised_Wheel~CS-UW

Recommend Vactan as well, used all over our boat, with good results.