Rubber coated oil seals

Scammell4199

Question

It might sound stupid, but is there a method to installing rubber coated oil seals?

I bought some for the Scammells winch drive and they were an absolute ba*$£rd to fit because the friction with the housing is so great.

I've just bought another for the Scammells crankshaft and was hoping someone might have some nifty tips on getting these little blighters into position, to save my own frustration.

Thanks in advance, Richard

2 answers to this question

I assume you mean lip seals. If so you need a drift of almost the same size as the od of the seal, use this with a mallet to drift the seal into position. If the shaft is in place you can use a tube of the correct size. There is a bit of kit available from Machine Mart with several popular seal sized drifts that screw onto a common handle. This works quite well

Thanks for your reply.

Yes lip seals, I've put loads in before using the method you describe, but the ones that have rubber even on the outer diameter generate so much friction with the housing, you can almost distort it trying to drive it home.