Brake Unions

lightweight

Question

4 answers to this question

Does anyone know if the pitch on an American 3/8" brake union is different to an English one. I'm having a nightmare making brake lines up....

I think you'll find it's an American fine pipe thread I can't remember the tpi or pitch but you should be able to get 3/8" union nuts and T fittings via the standard dealers for not a lot of money.

Pete

Sizes, always sizes ...

These threads are American and for once they are not silly. I vaguely remember that an NPT male plug has the same thread pitch as the PARALLEL UNF thread of the same size, so if you have a UNF tube connector, you can just bung a suitable NPT plug in it without wrecking the threads. I expect you could put a UNF parallel plug in an NPT female too.

The thread form is different, different angle, mostly different threads per inch than UK stuff and definitely different from anything that says metric on it.

I've managed to find all the US threaded components, parallel and tapered, that I've needed over the years. I reckon many of them are easier / more available than the older UK ones.