Slow and Obscene

Jolly Jeeper

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I was in a filling station in Ashton under Lyne yesterday and saw this on the front page of the local paper;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/95-years-on-first-world-1661999

A lone bugle sounded but it was slow and obscene for Private Wilbraham Lomax Blears gassed in France

Well, I hope you died quick and I hope you died clean

Or, Willie McBride, was it slow and obscene?

Did they Beat the drum slowly, did the play the pipes lowly?

Did the rifles fire o'er you as they lowered you down?

Did the bugles sound The Last Post in chorus?

Did the pipes play the Flowers of the Forest?

My great uncle was gassed on The Somme, and struggled on until 1928, before his lungs finally rotted away.

Struggling a bit to see how a supermarket could be built on consecrated ground, I always thought it was forbidden to erect a building in such a place??????

My great uncle was gassed on The Somme, and struggled on until 1928, before his lungs finally rotted away.

Struggling a bit to see how a supermarket could be built on consecrated ground, I always thought it was forbidden to erect a building in such a place??????

Amazing what supermarket money can do to planning departments !

Slightly off topic, one of my grandfathers was also gassed on the Somme but he strugled on untill 1969 when he finaly passed away after many years of chest problems strugling to breath.

The other grandfather who I knew very well passed away in 1976 as a direct result from fighting in the Great War, a piece of shrapnel that had never been removed from his leg until 1973 caused infection from which he never recovered.

As Antar says its ££££. Consecrated ground doesn't always stay consecrated, at the gateway to Manchester by the Mancunian way you will find St Georges Church (near Dot Motorcycles). The church itself had been empty for many years and the druggies had been using the graveyard for you know what, in the 1990's the church yard was de-consecrated and the human remains were dug up and placed elsewhere the church building was then turned into flats.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=M15+4JW&hl=en&ll=53.471581,-2.258849&spn=0.000415,0.001155&sll=53.506508,-2.320072&sspn=0.420614,1.182404&t=h&hnear=Manchester+M15+4JW,+United+Kingdom&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.471581,-2.259105&panoid=6ptquNz8M-RDPFMwhjjZNA&cbp=12,354.24,,0,-5.01

I also seem to remember a program on TV which was about a company that undertook graveyard clearance not my idea of a job but it takes all sorts