Sorry, seriously though, does it involve rotation of an object?

Nope not really but there are bearings but I can see no reason for it to rotate nor can I see how it would rotate and I have the 26 page description in front of me! and no it wasn't a tin opener.

Scale is a problem here, I don't think it's particularly large (despite the apparent construction from bolted metal strip).

The chunk in the middle is a centre-tapped airspaced coil for radio frequencies, but I don't see what the 4 cylindrical units are for as there's no apparent connection to the coil.

I'd say it's an RF tank circuit, either for a transmitter, or some sort of medical/vetinary diathermy unit.

Chris.

Yes well done Chris you've got it as far as anyone could.

It is actually a crucial part of a bridge circuit to try to tame instability in high power HF transmitters.

Can anyone guess the appx year?

What is the connection with the last mystery object?

I think I agree with Chris S. that it is electrical - certainly the two metal contacts at the top lead to that idea and it looks to be a 4 turn coil too short to be an electro-magnet. Are the (metal?) bars horizontally just there for strength ? It looks like it was designed for large currents and I do seem to remember a previous MO was an underwater transmitting antenna - I wonder if this is another part of that radio system ?

Iain

The rods are on bearings (quite why is not made clear) There must have been high current the power unit gave 20 kW.

The structure so designed so it detuned by minimal amounts at changes of 40 deg C that were described as "Beyond audibility"

Well remembered but this was not the underwater system this was for battleships of a later period. So this is connected to that mystery object and the last one.

The rods are on bearings (quite why is not made clear) There must have been high current the power unit gave 20 kW.

The structure so designed so it detuned by minimal amounts at changes of 40 deg C that were described as "Beyond audibility"

Well remembered but this was not the underwater system this was for battleships of a later period. So this is connected to that mystery object and the last one.

Oh, if it's Naval that explains much. 20kW puts it out of reach of any army sets (apart from the modern fixed-installation kit for round the world use).

Guesswork for date: 1923, for a CW set.

Chris.

Oh, if it's Naval that explains much. 20kW puts it out of reach of any army sets (apart from the modern fixed-installation kit for round the world use).

Guesswork for date: 1923, for a CW set.

Chris.

Yes Chris it was quite hairy stuff. It was actually 1932, quite a complex research paper trying to combat instability in transmitters operating between, 1,000 and 20,000 kc/s (No disrespect to Herr Hertz but I like the original terminology ie it means just what it says)

There is actually a connection with previous object although it would take a very clever person to work that out :-D

No volunteers then.

The answer is the location. The wireless experiments were conducted in 1932 at HM Signal School, Horsea Island, Portsmouth.

The FVRDE amphibious trials in 1964 for the FMC Command & Reconnaissance Vehicle where not conducted at ATTURM Instow as one might have expected, but at Horsea Island.

App3433_zpsa0a90d5f.jpg