1966 Dated 1960 Pattern OD Smock, 8th Inf Bde (NI) Origin

wdbikemad

010.jpg 1966 dated OD 1960 pattern smock......a useful Size 8 and hardly-worn.....signs of WO insignia removed from lower sleeves and James Smith produced........but most interestingly, is the small paper label still stapled to one of the inner breast pockets......stating "QM Store....8 Inf Bde".....my limited research says that this Brigade were largely NI-based................a nice item with potential history........:-D

008.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'll apologise in advance if I should have started a new thread but here goes anyway....

What are the differences between the early 1960 Pattern smocks and the later ones? (Not counting the introduction of DPM material.)

Sometimes it seems as if there is a more-or-less continual evolution in uniforms over time, and the changes in designation (Pattern '60 to '68 for example) are arbitrary rather than significant of some major redesign.

I'll apologise in advance if I should have started a new thread but here goes anyway....

What are the differences between the early 1960 Pattern smocks and the later ones? (Not counting the introduction of DPM material.)

Sometimes it seems as if there is a more-or-less continual evolution in uniforms over time, and the changes in designation (Pattern '60 to '68 for example) are arbitrary rather than significant of some major redesign.

I will be covering this in my forthcoming book Pete......

But basically, the 60 pattern smock commenced issue in 1961 and was a development of the earlier 1950s pattern......in brief, it was slightly longer in length and the inner lining was reduced to finish at waist-level (earler versions were fully lined as per the 1968 pattern)..........

Around 1964 an improved version was introduced that featured a redesigned sleeve and method of attachment. This had been proposed/trialed in the late 1950s but didn't enter production for a number of years. The older design had been criticised for the tightness and restrictive cut of the sleeves, particularly around the shoulder and armpit........the newer design has the "oval" elbow patches on the sleeve, a fuller cut and different method of attachment. The earlier version has the wide rectangular elbow patches and "vents" (slits) under the armpit........around the same time the lining material was changed from lightweight cotton-gabardine to a (cheaper) cotton poplin.......

Around 1968 NSN's began to appear on the labels and the date of manufacture (and comparative US/Canadian sizing) disappeared.........

As with everything however, stocks of the older patterns continued to be issued as long as they were available......

If seeking a green 60 pattern smock for personal use, get the modified (post-64) version as it will fit far more comfortably....

Last green MoD-issue smocks were made in mid-1970, the DPM version having entered production at this point (until March 1971 when the 1968 version was introduced).......:-D

Edited by wdbikemad

Thank you for that. It kinda puts paid to the notion of "uniformity" in uniforms. These changes must have driven the CQMS spare.

Am I right in thinking that when the Pattern 1960 got looser, a squadie who used to wear a Size 8 suddenly went to a Size 7? If the changeover was phased in slowly it would also have meant men in the same unit looked like they were wearing different uniforms even though all the labels said they were technically the same pattern. Correct?

I will keep my eyes open for what I can find here in Canada, but I suspect all roads will lead to our friends at ebay.

Although I am not a hardcore collector -- not yet anyway -- my impression is there were not as many variations within a particular pattern in Canada or the USA. The Coat, Combat, OG 107, GS, MK II didn't change much over three decades. (We didn't even abandon the green colour.) The American M-65 seemed to stay pretty much the same through its lifespan too.

No, the sizing range didn't change Pete, but the FITTING was improved upon, particularly around the upper arm and chest........this was brought about because the 60 pattern gear was intended for all arms service and intended to replace the airborne Denison too (it didn't - eventually), but trials (between 1958 and 1959) had shown the smock in the original design was too constrictive for airborne troops when raising the arms to operate the 'chute harness lift webs !!! Up to at least 1968 most smocks and trousers carried US and Canadian comparative sizing on the labels, thereafter NSN sizing.........:D From my own experience (with 68 pattern combat gear) you went into the QM store and tried-on various sizes...........90% of my unit ended with Size 1 & 2's.........tall, lanky buggers like me got a size 4..........but no one got anything larger despite the official sizing charts...........nowadays, approaching 50, I comfortably take a size 8 !!!!

Edited by wdbikemad

From my own experience (with 68 pattern combat gear) you went into the QM store and tried-on various sizes...........90% of my unit ended with Size 1 & 2's.........tall, lanky buggers like me got a size 4..........but no one got anything larger despite the official sizing charts...........nowadays, approaching 50, I comfortably take a size 8 !!!!

It doesn't feel so bad if you just think 8090/0515. ;)

Thanks again for your insights.