Steam artillery transport

gritineye

• 2 weeks later...

I consider the image shown is of a Thornycroft Colonial wagon. From the image can be seen the side of the vertical boiler and boiler feed chute attached to the top of the boiler. The rear wheels are larger than shown in other Thornycroft steamer photos, however options and variations to special order were part and parcel of the day.

Thornycroft wagons were used in South Africa during the Boer Wars, and in use by the British Army at home, with ten Thornycroft's being listed as with the ASC. The role of towing and transporting guns appears to be short lived with that being transferred to the use of light steam tractors as per the 1906 Aldershot Trials, with that also later being lost to petrol powered tractor units with overall design similar to the light steam tractors.

Doug

An early Thornycroft Colonial from 1903 is currently being restored by Mike Wilkinson who also owns the WW1 Foden.

I have not seen Mike since the naming of the Jollife loco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0yEXkyI68do) so I do not know where the restoration is up to at the moment, perhaps someone can advise.

I hope you enjoy the video it was a lovely day out.

Tom

Again Richard your vast library of old publications has shown through. The reference I have included other makers , but as they were different in boiler form, I discarded them from the list. Strakers were not on my list. The Straker certainly has the same rear wheel hub pattern.

There is a Straker Squire being re-built here in NZ , this has smaller wheels that the one in question.

Doug