Hi from Lancashire!

Tootles

Hi,

My name is Dave, and I am ex Royal Armoured Corps, trained as a driver/gunner on Conqueror, Centurion and Chieftain, as well as Ferret, Saladin, and Saracen, plus Hornet with RAC Para Squadron.

Spent time as a D&M instructor at Catterick, on Chieftain, and would be pleased to answer anything I can remember, (LOL), on the above.

Dave.

You have a Hornet!!! I'm very impressed!! Really only a cut down Pig, as you know, but hey!!! Last one I saw outside of Bovy was the one we had stood outside our barracks in Tidworth.

They could only be fired 'live' in Aus, but we fired practice Malkara at Lulworth. We then moved over to Vigilant, on the Mk 2 Ferret, and Swingfire on the Mk 5 Ferret.

Would really be interested to get your Hornets history. I think that only 50 were made, plus the converted Humber 1 tons as missile re-supply etc.

Ok Dave, I believe there were 32 or 33 Hornets ranging from the wooden mock up in 1958, through the various prototypes to give 12 operational vehicles & 12 in reserve. Unfortunately the Hornet was not mine; I had it on loan from the Tank Museum for 14 years.

It was not the one on display but the non-runner stored outside behind the Museum. I spent many thousands of pounds getting it driveable & keeping it roadworthy. I had to replace the clutch, fly-wheel, alternator, starter motor, complete braking system, ignition system, carb, generator panel, switchboard, all the hub seals, some track rods + ends. I had to make the battery tray, IR headlight boxes & new tilt ram.

I got the hydraulic compressor to run & the rotary converter going with the transistor PSU. I never manage to accumulate enough valves as it was my intention to get the on-board simulator to run.

I returned it when I retired as it was all getting a bit too much in expense & time. I then also had 2 Pigs, 2 Shorlands & a Rover. I now just have a Pig, Shorland & Rover.

I also had a collection of Vigilants & the Shorland was Vigilant equipped at one stage. I used to be in contact with someone from the Vigilant sales team & Col Val Cockle who commanded 20 Trials Unit who rejected it twice! So I saw things from both viewpoints. Indeed I have been in contact with Fairey/BAC people who worked on Malkara & saw things from their perspective not just from the user.

Your avatar is from a picture taken by Capt Peter Russell who was Cyclops EME. He was a great source of help & information, I have his archives. But when he died & I returned the Hornet I lost the impetus to attend reunions.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?14228-R-I-P-Capt-Peter-Russell-1923-2009&highlight=peter+russell

I never served but was made an honorary member of the OCA. I wrote a couple of articles about the formation of the Sqn in Tank & Pegasus. An expansion of that article is here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?617-Development-of-the-Hornet

So I wonder which years you were in the Sqn? I probably know a number of your contemporaries. Col Radford was here last year taking copies of some of my archives & Griz was in contact a few weeks ago about making a model of a Hornet.

Thanks for that Clive. I never personally met Capt. Russell, but of coarse he was a legend in his own right, and I am saddened to here of his demise.

Maybe this is not the thread for personal service info, and so I will pass you details by PM, if thats OK??

Dave.