CAD3D Modeler

Mossie

I am a skilled CAD and 3D modeler and undertake projects for a range of customers. From restorations, replicas to simulations.

One of the interesting things is the research associated with the projects.

Hence coming here to this forum for my vehicle needs.

I have one project now: Bedford QL Bowser, 1942 period. I'm looking for any detailed images or technical manuals relating to this vehicle, especial the pump and its controls, hiden in the rear compartment

Here is an early view of the model.

Bedford_QL_Chassis.jpg.

Hi Mossie

Great to see such cracking detail on the images !!!!! What other vehicles have you worked on, and do you have a list of others that you plan to tackle ?????

A friend invested in work for a wheel and tyre to get 3 D printed in 1/24 for later casting.

I am trying to work the hard way on a master, building it from scratch and finding a real hastle. I was wondering if you are looking to offer up packages for folks that might want to build parts or kits around stuff that they may outsource to 3D printer, where the work in fabricating themselves is outwith their capabilities, such as tread patterns on tyres and the like.

In my case, I can run off a basic wheel on my cheap lathe, but am finding it very hard to get the tread pattern cut accurately to scale. I know that the 3D printer would be more than capable of churning out the wheel and tyre as individual items. I woul like to think I could get a reasonable effort with just the tread.

Would be fantastic to just have a tread pattern 3D cast that I can lay down on the master.

This is the Michelin XZL 395/85R20

The tyre is 395mm width outer side wall to inner side wall at its widest point.

The aspect ration is 85% of the width = 335mm from hub rim to tread surface.

R = Radial

20 = 20 inch diameter wheel or 500mm diameter.

MichelinXZLTiretread.jpg

MichelinXZL395-85R203.jpg

Michelin2.jpg

Michelin.jpg

MichelinXZL395-85R204.jpg

Would love to know more about your own work and if there is any way that you migh be in a position to make my task a little easier.

Any thoughts on what you could offer would be greatly appreciated?

Nigel

Nigel building a 3D or CAD model of tire should be too difficult. There are good specs for this one, it will depend on how you want to use the model.

Yes it could be sent to a 3D printer as a complete tire, and this may be the best way.

I'd be happy to quote a price and welcome any interest in this and other items required for the scale modellers.

I've made a lot of items over the years mostly for flight simulators, but moving now into full CAD for replica makers and modelers.

I'll PM you a quote for a complete tire.

Nigel raises a question about how many people would be interested in 3D CAD support for modeling? It is a good question. What is the answer?

Edited by Mossie

[quote=Mossie;

Nigel raises a question about how many people would be interested in 3D CAD support for modeling? It is a good question. What is the answer?

I will pass you on a good few web sites that I am on and open some doors for you. I will be happy with your quote for the tyre and wheel if you can do !!!!!

I know that loads of folks will be very interested in your services !!!!!!!!!!

E-mail will be heading your way to start with !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Nige

Gerry

You have captured the tread pattern so nicely, and the side wall curves !!!!!!!

I am not sure how the big boys get the extra fine detail of the side wall lettering in the resin. I presume the art is in picking just the amount for it to register in the cast !!!! Then it is down to the quality of the mold medium to capture all that fine detail !!!!!

That will be another learning curve for me too once I get the masters printed !!!!!!

I am asking about some of the guys in the forums as to what to do with the lettering !!!! One option would be to slightly over emphasise the lettering height and then sand back slightly from the duplicates !!!!!!!!!!

What are your own thoughts ???????

I am really amazed how quick you rattled that off !!!!!!!!!! Guys on the forums will see how rapid your prototyping is and what can be captured !!!!!!

Very nice

Nige

As I built the original full sized, I can add in the lettering accordingly. However, once scaled down and then through the 3D printer, the definition may well get lost. So I could overcook the letters height and see what happens. It will all depend on the printers quality, if it is 0.1mm then it may work. Do you know what 3D printer is going to be used?

As much an experiment for me as well.

As I built the original full sized, I can add in the lettering accordingly. However, once scaled down and then through the 3D printer, the definition may well get lost. So I could overcook the letters height and see what happens. It will all depend on the printers quality, if it is 0.1mm then it may work. Do you know what 3D printer is going to be used?

As much an experiment for me as well.

I will be asking a local company that I know does prototyping to see if they can do something for me !!!!!!! If you can advise on the parameters that I would best try to find and those to avoid, it would help !!!!!!!

My mate says that the real tyre wall lettering would be in the order of 4 or 5mm at 1:1 scale with the letter edging being in the order of 1mm !!!!!!!

Does that cause you issues ???

A pall who has already showed interest thinks down to layers of 16 microns if that means anything !!!!!!!

I have passed on your e-mail details direct to him !!!!!!!!!!! I hope you don't mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you might see from the forums, we have been encouraging each other on with our own builds !!!!!!!!!! He needs the same pattern tyres for a JCB 410 that we both have drawings for when I can get around to finishing the TM's !!!!!!!!!!

The reference materials we have each compiled has been passed around between us as a problem shared is a problem solved !!!!!!!!

This info will greatly enhance your own 3D imaging !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure he will be in touch very soon !!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Gerry ,,,,,,,,, or thinner !!!!!!!!!!!!

I presume that this is the thickness of layers that the printer can lay down layers !!!!!!!!! I have seen the 'U' tube vids and saw on morning tv a mving madel where all the moving parts were cast around each other (IN PLACE) !!!!!!!

Looked amazing

Nige

Gerry

Aggressive tread is much better than too thin !!!!!!!! I can always sand down the tread to simulate wear !!!!!!! Adding back on ???????????? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ???????????

I struggled to get this distinctive look over weeks !!!!!!!!!! You have done it in a few days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself onto these forums !!!!!!!!!! You are gonna be in great demand me thinks !!!!!!!

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=latestposts_old

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://www.24thscalemodeltruckforum.co.uk/index.php

http://pete389.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php

I also discuss stuff on Facebook with some like minded folks, mostly a mix from the model forums I am on !!!!!!!!!!!

I can introduce you there too so that you can get contacts with folks into military and civilian vehicles !!!!!!

Fantastic

Nige

I am sure Howard from KFS (Kit Form Services) AKA RecyMech will be looking in on this too with some interest !!!!!!! This military pattern is right up his street !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worth getting in touch direct to have a chat at what you can offer !!!!!!!!!! His company make fantastic kits as you probably already know !!!!!!!!!

Nige

• 2 weeks later...