MV insurance

whistlinwolf

Have any of you out there had any experience of insurance companys and their "evil " ways ?

I am currently having a wrangle with one of them following a little unplanned off road excursion.

My problem seems to be in that they are prepared to spend money to repair the vehicle but are also prepared to accept any old bodge from the repairers and seem to justify it by the fact it is only a MV.

Any of you out therehad any experiences at all like this?It would be interesting to know if it is worth taking things like this to the insurance ombudsman or is it usually a wasted excercise?

Look forward to any comments

Tim(1)

The vehicle has to be repaired to an acceptable & satisfactory standard to put it back to the condition it was in immediately prior to the accident. You have to sign a form to say as much otherwise the repairer doesn't get paid, & he could also be held accountable if the repair isn't roadworthy. Don't expect the insurance company to pay for more than is necessary though, eg. don't expect a full re-spray if you've only scratched the front bumper. You can of course pay for any extra work yourself done at the same time. I believe that you are quite within your rights to demand that your vehicle is repaired by someone that you are happy with & not by the company the insurance want it repaired by.

Hi Tim

The bone of contention is in the standard of the repair, we now have tapered shuts on Bonnet, badly fitting bonnett, thin paint, bare metal , screen that wont flip,rebuilt gearbox that oil pours out of and much much more.

The list is 4 pages long that the independant engineer has compiled, still the insurance co are not wanting to rectify these points so it looks like its either I bite the bullet and rectify the faults or take it to the ombudsman.

Doing the repairs to rectify the bad work myself is actually the easier route, but on a matter of principle I am leaning towards the other route as they have paid £6200 to him for what he has done and I have shelled out another£ 1200 on top for various other bits.( could have built a brand new Jeep for £7400!!)

Apparently they have paid him for work done and I haven't signed any acceptance so maybe that isn't a requisite these days?

Be interested to hear if anyone else has had to approach the ombudsman with a grievance and if its the sort of thing that tends to go the Ins Co 's way.

Tim(1)

Hi Tim,

Sounds to me like you have got a pretty good case against the insurers, the repairers or both. Have you tried asking advice from the AA or RAC's legal departments? I would have thought that you should be able to make the insurers pay to have the job done properly by someone else.