Hotchkiss M201 Jeep carb help.

gadgit

Having some small issue with slow running (hunting)

I checked through the info in the book to cure it. M201 in the books all say M32PBIC or 32PBIC.

Well I cannot find a volume screw with spring to adjust the mix for idle. After pulling my hair out over the festive period the torch came out and I found the inscription on the carb. F32 PBIC ? there is not! a Volume scew that I can see, and no place for one either.

Firstly, has anyone else got one of these on their Hotchkiss jeep/

It could just be that the points/ plugs need a reset and clean up and it might disappear ?? I'm happy to do that having spent half my life with MGB's

Any info on the F32PBIC would be of great value.

Many thanks

gadgit.

Pic of the carb showing idle adjuster screw in the base, not very accessible at base of the carb and it points towards cylinder block just above the exhaust manifold, if you can't find it has it fallen out or broken off? that could be the cause of the problem

http://www.m201.com/tech/solex.htm

Edited by Nick Johns

I believe I have found the problem....??

If the picture is clear enough, please see the area where the volume (mixture) slow running screw should be??

Why someone would attach a pipe in the adjustment screw area and block it off is beyound me.

The only other question is why the carb number starts with an 'F' and then 32PBIC. Anyone know why its an 'F' (france?)

I'm now presuming its just a 32PBIC and not an M32PBIC.

I presume if all is well I will just need a new adjuster with spring to be back to normal.

IMG_3563.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved a volume screw for the carb (there was not one) and removed the section that had been put in place of the screw and spring..... and someone had broken the original off in the hole!!!! great...

Considering it had to come out, whatever, I drilled the old one out with care....

Interesting thing is, I've found out how to remove it without damage to the hole and fuel feed. You start with a small drill and make sure its square to the entrance and end. Bear in mind that i tried all ways to shift it, but its small in there!!

When you drill the second size, if you are lucky (and I was) the tapered end falls off, and you can feel it do so. Then just keep drilling slightly larger till you can tease the rest out...clean up, job done. Its not easy but can be done.

As regards poor starting, I've also cured this as well...

The screw that grips the wire inner to the choke conection had not been tight and had been slipping up and down the wire to not fully ingage the choke to raise the tickover to start the car.

So after all had been done, it started second turn over, with raised tickover (never done that before) so I am very happy.

hope this helps for anyone else.

gadgit.