THE BOYS CRUSADE --P Fussell.

Karoshi

Well I'm not good at reviews, books are so emotive and subjective, it’s a case of one mans meat etc.

My impression of WW2 is drawn from Hollywood where mature seasoned men do the business, in a determined and dutiful way. This book tells it like it was, with young fresh faced, inexperienced and scared boys.

The Imperial War Museum picture on the front cover ( neg A12835 ) says it all. A must read.

boys-crusade_large.jpg

ISBN 0-75381-976-7

Hi Colin,

You mean you've read it already?! and I thought I was a quick reader!

Although it's not one of the better known accounts of WW2 I think it really does hit home.and as you say the cover picture says it all.

Matt.

Matt I've got a son of 17 years and we Play at army games, this book kinda pulled me up short when I realised that the kids on the front cover were doing it for real.

The fresh faced boy in the picture who I doubt shaves, is actually wearing 2 (3 ?) stripes!

Karoshi

• 2 months later...

Apart from the superb photo on the cover, i admit to being a little bit dissapointed with this book. I found it to be too general, probably because the author is trying to cover too much in a small book. The chapters shoot through from first time abroad, Cobra, Falaise, Hurtengen, Bulge, replacements, dishonour, Skorzeny, Camps etc at great speed with just a few pages devoted to each. Being quite well read on these subjects i found nothing new, but i suppose the book does give an introduction to the subject which is in fact exactly what it says on the back cover, so i suppose that can't really criticise it.

Tim (too)