Ford WOT6 Chassis Number

Brooky

OK all you British WW2 experts!!!!!

Any ideas where on the chassis of a WOT6 would you expect to find the chassis number??????

Hi,

I did some work on a WOT6 a few years ago and had the body off and repainted, in the course of this, I recollect finding the number, seem to think it was on the nearside outer face of chassis, possibly just behind the cab. If it has side mounted fuel tanks, then in front of them, but if the tank is behind the cab, then somewhere below it.

The chassis number on a WOT6 is stamped on the top of the near-side chassis side member just in front of the shock absorber bracket (info from 1942 drivers handbook).

From experience of other Ford chassis numbers, it won't be clearly stamped. It should start and end with a Star and the number contains the model code at the start of the number with the actual chassis number at the end.

The chassis number on a WOT6 is stamped on the top of the near-side chassis side member just in front of the shock absorber bracket (info from 1942 drivers handbook).

From experience of other Ford chassis numbers, it won't be clearly stamped. It should start and end with a Star and the number contains the model code at the start of the number with the actual chassis number at the end.

Hi Robert,

Strange as that was not my recollection, although I did have the engine out so it is possible I did see it there, but i thought it was on a vertical surface. The number must have been original as it did start and end with a star. This was a 1943/44 build.

Hi Robert,

Strange as that was not my recollection, although I did have the engine out so it is possible I did see it there, but i thought it was on a vertical surface. The number must have been original as it did start and end with a star. This was a 1943/44 build.

Yes, thinking about it my WOT2 chassis number is on a vertical surface,on the chassis just under the passenger door, but my WOA2 is stamped on the upper surface of the chassis in the engine bay (and also at the rear). I have heard that GKN made some chassis for Ford in WW2 although I have seen a film of chassis production at Dagenham. Different manufacturers doing their own thing??