Shirt, Jungle.

airportable

At Malvern picked up a Shirt, Jungle. I did not study the label well at the time, poor light anyway. At home the next day spotted just how old it is, 1944, excelent condition and some intresting features. Main one being like a double buttoned front fastening, printed label 'Gas Flap'???

My main question I would like to know when was this shirt replaced with what I thought it was 'Jungle Green'

I have tried to heighten detail of the label as faint.

Clothing collection (14) - Copy.JPG

Clothing collection (9) - Copy.JPG

Clothing collection (10) - Copy.jpg

Poor light maybe, but a rather nice find ! This is an example of the first British-issue JG uniform of WW2, that replaced/superceded the green-dyed KD and Indian-made (JG) clothing.......it appeared by late 1943 but it seems that few troops actually received the garments (with matching trousers that feature two rear pockets and a double strap and buckle frontal fastening) until late 1944/early 45..............the gas flap was similar to that found on US tropical clothing and fitted due to fears that the Japanese would employ gas as a last desperate defence method as the war drew to a close.......many troops however, chose to cut this away along with the sleeves....!

Evidence suggests that this suit was also made up in camouflage cotton gabardine, using the same fabric as employed in "SAS" windproof smocks........these are, obviously, very rare today......for more info (and photos) of these garments see the excellent book "Khaki Drill and Jungle Green" by Crowood Press, written by Brayley and Ingram.........

This kit was officially replaced by the 1952 pattern jungle green bush jacket (in aertex fabric) and drill trousers (the ones with the strap and buckle fastening on each hip) that lasted (in the case of the trousers at least) until replaced by DPM around '75-76.........the jacket went out of favour by the mid-late 60's when replaced by the aertex shirt.........

However, stocks of the older wartime JG continued to be issued as long as stocks were available, in some instances up to the early 60s......it is also worth noting that Indian-made, Gurkha pattern clothing and locally-tailored/puchased garments were equally popular amongst troops, particularly officers, and continued to be worn, where permissible, until JG disappeared from the British Army during the 1970's........

The garment shown appears to have been manufactured by Hobson and Sons, London.......more famous as headgear manufacturers than for clothing..........they were still in London right up to the end of the 80s, located where the "London Dungeon" is now situated, not far from London Bridge.......! These are rather rare garments...........and a nice find....

Edited by wdbikemad

• 3 years later...

Evidence suggests that this suit was also made up in camouflage cotton gabardine, using the same fabric as employed in "SAS" windproof smocks........these are, obviously, very rare today......for more info (and photos) of these garments see the excellent book "Khaki Drill and Jungle Green" by Crowood Press, written by Brayley and Ingram.........

QUOTE]

This answers a puzzle I have carried with me for over 35 years!!

In about 1980 I bought some military kit off a lad who was in my Army Cadet unit. His father was understood to have been in the SAS during the 70s. One of the items I bought was shirt. I have never seen a similar one since. The shirt had a similar cut to the 70s tropical shirt - without the zip. It had the WW2 type flat buttons as on 70s trops and Windproof Smocks etc. But it was patterned in the windproof camouflage you mention Stephen. What's more - it was brand new mint condition!! Sadly the lads Mum found out about the sale and insisted the shirt was returned - so I only had it for a week or so before handing it back. Even so, and at my young age, I appreciated I had lost a real work of art and a thing of beauty.

I have never read "Khaki Drill..." but I shall make it my business to do so.

On a slightly brighter note - I wasn't asked to return all the items - just the shirt. One of these I still have and it is very unique. I shall endeavour to take some pics in due course.

Rich