CVRT J60 A1 and A2 engines

robin craig

Could anyone please clear up the differences of what two standards the A1 vs the A2 engines are?

We are about to buy some rebuilt engines and are trying to decide which is right for us for what money.

I am sure this will be a good resource to others if we get this out in the open on its own.

Thanks in advance to all who reply

Regards

Robin Craig

Union Jack Collection

Canada

Robin

What follows is a non technical response based on my own experiences, I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to give a more thorough response.

Engines reconditioned to a1 standard will have been fully remanufactured. This process was once described to me and it is very thorough indeed if carried out properly. Effectively you are pretty much getting a new engine since all of the moving and wearing parts should have been replaced. The engine will also have been preserved which means it should NOT be turned until you have....erm...I cant remember! But Im sue someoone will come along to tell us how to commission a preserved engine..

A2 engines have basically only had changed what is needed. It is very much a refurb, rather than reconditioning. But the engine will have been thoroughly tested and certificated. In some cases an a2 engine will not be producing its full power output, and there should be documentation with it to say that this is the case. As an example the a2 I fitted to my Spartan recently was tested at 175bhp, so about 15bhp down on what it should produce. Having said that it still goes like stink compared to what it did do.

The only problems I have seen people come across with a2's relate to coils not working properly and carb diaphragms perishing both due to storage which can affect both a1 and a2 engines.

Of course valves can get stuck in both cases so it is good practice to remove the covers and ensure the valve stems are moving prior to turning over.

So basically you pays yer money and takes yer pick...a1's are likely to be better but will be more expensive (typically 2-3 times), a2's will be cheaper but should be fine for most peoples uses and certainly better than straight take outs.

Oh and as you know of course the cleanest and shiniest isnt always the best!

Cheers

Tim