A Winter's walk around Thorpe Abbotts

M5Clive

I remember seeing the B-17 fly at the Debach open weekend a few years ago from memory along with the B-24. He damaged a prop on landing the B-24 - I have it on video, but no serious damage. A quick replacement and it was away up again.

Guess its pretty unlikely that we are now ever going to see a real B-24 over the Control Tower at Debach, but then you can never say never.

It is looking quite hopeful that Don Brooks is going to bring B-17 Liberty Bell over to the UK next year and wants to buzz Parham - Framlingham, where his father flew from. Now wouldn't that be worth seeing!

cds

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

It is looking quite hopeful that Don Brooks is going to bring B-17 Liberty Bell over to the UK next year and wants to buzz Parham - Framlingham, where his father flew from. Now wouldn't that be worth seeing!

cds

Hey Clive - what is the story/history behind Don Brooks?

I remember seeing the B-17 fly at the Debach open weekend a few years ago from memory along with the B-24....

cds

Do you recall which flight you saw? was it the good one or the one where I lost an engine on take off and almost lost the plane, struggling to gain height over the wood, turning towards the dead engine!! It was the longest most stressful circuit of my life!

In the attached picture, you can see the dead engine, and full left rudder. I thought it was the crosswind causing the swing, until airborne, and could see the stationary prop against the sky. The other picture is my B-17 over the Debach tower on the previous flight.

Hey Clive - what is the story/history behind Don Brooks?

Don Brooks was one of the main guys involved with getting the P-38 "Glacier Girl" out of 260ft of Greenland Ice in the early 1990's. It had been an 8 year struggle to get that far, but financial or personal problems forced him to later sell his share in the P-38. He is also involved in the recovery and restoration of another B-17 from Labrador ( http://nwrain.net/~newtsuit/b17labrador/1998search.html )

This extract about Don is taken from that site.....

"Don Brooks is a lifelong resident of Douglas, Georgia where he attended the public school system and two years at South Georgia College. In 1972 he graduated from Northwood University in Midland, Michigan with a Bachelors in Business Administration. He returned to Douglas to work in the family business, Brooks Auto Parts/Supply that was founded by his father, Elton Brooks, in 1937. After his fathers death in 1978 Don took over as President and CEO of the company. The business has continued to grow and is recognized as the largest group of privately owned NAPA stores in North America.

Don has developed a deep interest in military aviation history due to his father's military service with the Army Air Corps during World War II. Elton Brooks served as a tail gunner on a B-17 Flying Fortress and flew 37 combat missions with the 390th Bomb Group operating out of England during the war."

Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

Don Brooks was one of the main guys involved with getting the P-38 "Glacier Girl" out of 260ft of Greenland Ice in the early 1990's. It had been an 8 year struggle to get that far, but financial or personal problems forced him to later sell his share in the P-38. He is also involved in the recovery and restoration of another B-17 from Labrador.

Snap..can feel an interview coming on??!! :-D

Below are some excellent pictures of Don Brooks B-17 G Liberty Belle, as captured through the excellent lense of HMVF member Simon Morris, at the Thunder Over Michigan event in August 2005.

The web-site to tell you more about Don's ambitious plans and the aircraft history can be found at - http://www.libertyfoundation.org

The thought of that magnificent aircraft thundering over Framlingham (Parham) airfield in Suffolk in the not too distant future is just awesome!

Don is now working on a second B-17 restoration project which he is returning to flying status, which I understand is going to be restored as a B-17 F in olive drab.

Enjoy the pictures.

Liberty Belle roars overhead

width=640 height=426http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/IMG_7740_11-1.jpg[/img]

The Belle on the Ramp at Willow Run, Michigan. B-17 G Nine-O-Nine in the back ground.

width=538 height=800http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/IMG_7528_21.jpg[/img]

Joing up with other Eighth Air Force friends

width=640 height=448http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/IMG_7778_11.jpg[/img]

What a sight - 3 Third Air Division and 2 First Air Division B-17's in formation.

width=640 height=427http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/suzannewitton/Group20of20Five1.jpg[/img]

A little off topic but a question maybe Steve or Clive can help with. Does anyone know if the French B-17 "Pink Lady" will be coming to the UK this year?

Cheers,

Matt.

It seems unlikely at present. They are stuck with the same European insurance laws that almost grounded B-17 "Sally B". There are mixed views of what will happen.

Quoted from http://www.thepinklady.fr/

".....there is some speculation that the Pink Lady will be grounded (at least temporairly), just as the other flying B-17G in Europe, 'Sally B'. If this were the case, it would no doubt be related in part to rising insurance costs in Europe for this category of aircraft (ca. 500% rise, or an additional $1,890 per hour of flight).

Considering the small scale of the support oranization of the Pink Lady in France (when compared to that of 'Aluminum Overcast', or 'Yankee Lady' in the USA), it is financially problematic for her present caretakers to keep her flying until international sponsors will be found.

Should no sponsor be found, the Pink Lady will be maintained in flightworthy, but will remain grounded and it has been suggested that she would be put on static display at the AJBS museum at Ferté Alais, though a special hangar would need to first be built to accomodate her."

The options as I see them are......

i) stump up the extra insurance money ( via sponsors, selling body parts, or what ever it takes ), which I was quoted at another £1000 per hour on top of the previous insurance and running costs.

ii) ground the aircraft in France and keep it in a museum.

iii) Sell the aircraft, probably to the USA.

Steve

• 6 years later...
If anyone is interested in a more in depth look around Thorpe Abbotts, I have a 55 page, 5MB PDF file with photos, maps, and captions. A few screen prints have been attached to give you an idea of what it is.

If you want a copy, send me a PM with your email address.

Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

could u send me that pdf file please. edwardbrophy@hotmail.com cheers! also who do i need 2 contact 2 get permission 2 go onto the peri track & the last bits of runway 2 take some photos? tried the farm foreman but always engaged...