Winter vehicle heater

matchlesswdg3

My Bedford MW has had to be stored pro tem on the driveway; it now has a nice big tailored camper van cover over it, which breathes but has a "waterproof" top panel. That works fairly well, but I found that pooled water eventually seeps through. Anyhow, it still suffers from damp, especially inside the cab - mainly just condensation when its cold and no wind, so I have just installed a 60w electric "greenhouse" heater which is just a foot-long plastic tube I have mounted on block (about £17). That should not break the bank running it when the weather conditions require, and so far it seems to work - it certainly does not heat the cab up, but the dampness has gone. I am keeping a close eye on it, but hopefully its a cheap fit and forget solution to prevent P&J from dissolving internally! Its possibly also enough heat to keep frost off the engine block, although it does have anti-freeze in. I may experiment when we get some sub-zero conditions.

I used to use a tube heater in my Dayvan with great success, it was stored outside without a cover in all weathers, kept the the damp and mould away completely and as you say only 60w so fairly cheap to run.

Quite handy for the car in winter as well, keeps the windows from frosting up too badly.

You can get parrafin greenhouse heaters if no power is available, they work as well as the Hurricane lamps. Years ago when a Disiel Land Rover waxed up I packed straw bales around the base of the vehcile then used a greenhouse heater, in the ammo box! It thawed it out overnight.