Clansman vehicle harness line in modification

coombed

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Land Rover 109 FFR (24v) which has the Clansman radio infrastructure still in place (dexion, wing boxes with TUAAM's, power distribution unit, etc).

I want to put the heart back into the FFR and start re-installing the radio gear (finances/wife/children permitting!).

I am going to install a Clansman IB2 and a 2 x CB2's (all gold top ANR versions) to allow me to have a basic 4 way intercom system. The Land Rover is noisy at the best of times but it's more for a bit of fun with my kids.

I'd like to think that I'll install a VFC-321 (eventually) and plumb it into the intercom system through the IB2. With the other available input, I'd like to adapt it to use a line input from my iPhone (for music).

Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is possible or feasible? I saw a post on here with a similar question but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Duncan

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Land Rover 109 FFR (24v) which has the Clansman radio infrastructure still in place (dexion, wing boxes with TUAAM's, power distribution unit, etc).

I want to put the heart back into the FFR and start re-installing the radio gear (finances/wife/children permitting!).

I am going to install a Clansman IB2 and a 2 x CB2's (all gold top ANR versions) to allow me to have a basic 4 way intercom system. The Land Rover is noisy at the best of times but it's more for a bit of fun with my kids.

I'd like to think that I'll install a VFC-321 (eventually) and plumb it into the intercom system through the IB2. With the other available input, I'd like to adapt it to use a line input from my iPhone (for music).

Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is possible or feasible? I saw a post on here with a similar question but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Duncan

I am quite sure it's feasible: mods like this regularly happened in the field (though it would have been a cassette player not an iPhone in my day).

Of course as Command Troop Control Signaller and custodian of the Regimental Signals Store, it never happened on my watch. So it's no good asking me. Sorry.

Hi

The connections on the 7 pin lead between an RT321 or RT353 radio and the interface box (IB2 or IB3) are

A Mic In (to radio) + 17V DC - current drawn by interface box keys radio

B Mic Shield

C Not Connected

D Receive Audio (from radio)

E Receive Audio (from radio)

F Not Connected

G Ground

I'm fairly sure that the received audio connections where you would input the iPod signal to the IB2 or IB3 are meant to be balanced so you would be well advised to use an isolating transformer between the iPod and the IB2 or IB3. Something like http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Pcb-Audio-Transformer-Vtx-101-006-88-2123 should do it

Hope this helps

Iain

Hi

The connections on the 7 pin lead between an RT321 or RT353 radio and the interface box (IB2 or IB3) are

A Mic In (to radio) + 17V DC - current drawn by interface box keys radio

B Mic Shield

C Not Connected

D Receive Audio (from radio)

E Receive Audio (from radio)

F Not Connected

G Ground

I'm fairly sure that the received audio connections where you would input the iPod signal to the IB2 or IB3 are meant to be balanced so you would be well advised to use an isolating transformer between the iPod and the IB2 or IB3. Something like http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Pcb-Audio-Transformer-Vtx-101-006-88-2123 should do it

Hope this helps

Iain

Andy, Iain, that is brilliant, that all makes perfect sense, thankyou! I agree with you about the transformer.

This has given me another idea though... The iPhone uses a 3 ring plus tip mini jack, (ground, left, right and mic). In theory, I recon it would be possible to get an iPhone cable with 3 ring plus tip mini jack, hack it to pieces and wire it to a Clansman 7 pin plug, thus allowing the mic in the headset to be fed into the phone for calls and obviously audio from the phone sent into the headsets. I think iPhone mic on A and audio on D and E with ground on G.

Downside would be that everyone on the vehicle harness could listen into and talk into the conversation!

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Dunc

Andy, Iain, that is brilliant, that all makes perfect sense, thankyou! I agree with you about the transformer.

This has given me another idea though... The iPhone uses a 3 ring plus tip mini jack, (ground, left, right and mic). In theory, I recon it would be possible to get an iPhone cable with 3 ring plus tip mini jack, hack it to pieces and wire it to a Clansman 7 pin plug, thus allowing the mic in the headset to be fed into the phone for calls and obviously audio from the phone sent into the headsets. I think iPhone mic on A and audio on D and E with ground on G.

Downside would be that everyone on the vehicle harness could listen into and talk into the conversation!

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Dunc

I was tempted to ask the same question nice one

I was tempted to ask the same question nice one

I have bought all of the kit now and I am going to install its all on Friday. I will let you know how I get with regards to getting the iPhone's audio out and mic side to work. Once the concept works, Ideally, I'd like to buy an OEM Bluetooth module, build it into an old Clansman drivers box or something and take the mic input to the Bluetooth module from the harness headsets and the audio out from the Bluetooth to feed from the phone into the Bluetooth module and then into the headsets. It is definately possible and I will sort it! Über hands free!

If I get it working and I can build it into a box that looks in place, I'll let you all know and then I can start knocking them out for whoever wants them!

I want it to feed into the ib2/ib3 box as if it's a radio.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free!

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

A couple of thoughts on the iphone mic connection - the idea is logical but there may be a few things to be careful of

1) the IB2 controlled transmit / receive switching by drawing current from the radio on pin A - the Iphone doesnt have transmit receive switching of course but there will be DC voltages on this pin coming from the IB2. The Iphone probably also provides a voltage to power modern electret microphones on that pin. I would advise a series capacitor to protect the iphone from DC - ideally a few uF non polarised electrolytic or polyester type should do since I have no idea which end is more positive !

2) The levels from the IB2 and a normal iphone handsfree microphone may be rather different as the IB2 and crew boxes contain amplifiers. You may need to provide a level control (I'm fairly sure it will be too high rather than too low).

Hope this helps !

Iain

If you're going to do this properly it's worth looking at this article from the vmars website: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsletter_articles/clansman_interface.pdf I'd already considered a similar arrangement using an old Nokia hands-free kit as a "radio" but haven't got round to doing it yet and I'd also have the 12V vs 24V issue to solve. Your Bluetooth idea might be neater.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
I have bought all of the kit now and I am going to install its all on Friday. I will let you know how I get with regards to getting the iPhone's audio out and mic side to work. Once the concept works, Ideally, I'd like to buy an OEM Bluetooth module, build it into an old Clansman drivers box or something and take the mic input to the Bluetooth module from the harness headsets and the audio out from the Bluetooth to feed from the phone into the Bluetooth module and then into the headsets. It is definately possible and I will sort it! Über hands free!

If I get it working and I can build it into a box that looks in place, I'll let you all know and then I can start knocking them out for whoever wants them!

I want it to feed into the ib2/ib3 box as if it's a radio.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free!

Cheers

Dunc

So how did you get on?

I am hanging out wanting to do something similar.

Tankboy

Hi Bodged me Sony Walkman into the Harness of our Spartan in Bosnia. Used a regular Clansman connector cut back the Mic pair and did the same with a cable from the Jack plug. Seem to rember knowing the right wires to match but it's been detailed already. Worked a treat we cruised around withe The Blues brothers sound track belting out.

Think we could switch it out using one of the selector boxes.

Have you managed it yet ?