devonblacksmith

Hi!

You may wish to make contact with RSOLES - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rsoles/ - it's a web-based community / bunch of nutters and although it's primarily aimed at owners of Bedford RLs and Green Goddesses, there are many members who have a wider interest in the AFS and it's vehicles.

As it says on the front page: Preserving, owning, showing Bedford RL RS and all derivatives therof. Without being too rigid about it, we also welcome owners of related vehicles such as AFS Gypsy's BSA's Matchless and even Commers.

Certainly a couple of people on there might be able to help with build dates or perhaps where it has been in its life.

Cheers, Duncan.

As Duncan says, the RSOLES page is a good place to find information out (even though they can't spell Gipsy right :shocked: ).

Have you got the book, The Green Machine ? as that will tell you some history about your vehicle as well.

Also have you any pictures, chassis number and reg of your vehicle? As that might also help others in your quest for information.

Scott

I've sent one of the authors of the book who I know, John Thompson, an email pointing him in the direction of this thread etc.

Anyway, looking in The Green Machine I have found out the following information. Your commer was a Bikini Unit and would have looked something like this http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p716470258/hAB9E8F4#hab9e8f4 back in the day. After being de-mobbed it went from L W Vass to an A Maddocks in March 1987 and was then seen advertised in Exchange & Mart in February 1988. The book was published in 1995 so I think the information is correct up to that date.

I've sent one of the authors of the book who I know, John Thompson, an email pointing him in the direction of this thread etc.

Anyway, looking in The Green Machine I have found out the following information. Your commer was a Bikini Unit and would have looked something like this http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p716470258/hAB9E8F4#hab9e8f4 back in the day. After being de-mobbed it went from L W Vass to an A Maddocks in March 1987 and was then seen advertised in Exchange & Mart in February 1988. The book was published in 1995 so I think the information is correct up to that date.

Thank you for the info, would the book say where it was stationed it has C72 on the bumper and on the mud flaps does this mean anything ?

I've always understood the white bumper numbers to be the fleet numbers allocated to vehicles kept at the Home Office depot in Branston, near Burton-upon-Trent. My goddess which was kept there has the fleet number G57 which is also on the accompanying paperwork and record books.

Duncan.

Hi All,

Strangely enough about three hours ago, I was parked in a supermarket car park when a Vauxhall Insignia pulled in beside me.

Its registration was RYX 27. Would that have originally have come from this batch of Commers, and what happened to the original vehicle, I wonder?

Dave.

Hi All,

Strangely enough about three hours ago, I was parked in a supermarket car park when a Vauxhall Insignia pulled in beside me.

Its registration was RYX 27. Would that have originally have come from this batch of Commers, and what happened to the original vehicle, I wonder?

Dave.

Ryx 26 and ryx 28 are still registerd with the dvla as commers from 1958, so I guess ryx 27 was either scrapped exported or was re registered,

Just had a quick look in The Green Machine and RYX 27 belonged to Cornwall County Brigade and was last seen at Newhaven Garage, Derbyshire in April 1989. However it looks like RYX 27 is no longer around in its original form.

• 1 month later...