British Army WW2 vehicles. Antifreeze markings on bonnet ? Clive - Richard ?

David B.

GOT IT

I found a booklet in the REME Museum archives today. It was dated February 1944 and referred to vehicles coming from North America to the UK. One paragraph is very relevant. It is for 'B' vehicles for which Ethylene Glycol has been authorised.

"In order to ensure that radiators which have been treated with Ethylene Glycol solution are easily recognised, it is essential that action be taken, immediately a cooling system has been filled, to mark the radiator. this marking will be uniform throughout the Army and will consist of a RED circle pained on the radiator header tank under the bonnet, or in an equivalent position. In cases where this marking may be difficult to distinguish under the bonnet, the circle will be superimposed on a white square. This mark will be painted out should the radiator be drained and not refilled with Ethylene Glycol solution."

Also, the booklet stated that Frost precautions are fully described in A.C.I 1475 of 1943. Has anyone here got a copy of this ACI as I can't find in the Archives.

So if that is the case pre 44 vehicles seem to have a blue circle- then in 44 appears to switch to uniformity for a Red circle etc, around header tank.

HSC MK II Oct 1944 calls for a Red circle painted around the header tank when antifreeze has been added to the system.

DAC: I did not see anything in the DAC handbook.

Cromwell MK I 1943, blue band painted around header tank.

Cromwell MK VII Jan 45 when the cooling system has been filled with antifreeze, the header thank should be marked as laid down in Current instructions. This mark must be painted out if the cooling system is drained and is not refilled with antifreeze solution.