Lightweight brakes

Spood

The rear brake on my LWeight is sticking on quite tightly, with a bit of coaxing I got the drum off ( actually after giving it some stick with a rubber hammer) and everything appears to be free moving. I've put the drum back on and off a few times and applied the brakes and it sticks but if you prise the drum a bit to move it the brakes release on their own and it comes off easily, any ideas what it could be as I can see nothing obvious. The brake pipes all appear ok as I have heard about flexys degrading inside and blocking but there are none on the back axle as I can see. If there was one in the line to the back wheels further up the system would it not effect both rear wheels. Any suggestions welcome.

Don

Edited by Spood
Dodgy spelling

If the rear "Jump hose" is closed up then the brakes would not be retracting easy at both near & offside - is this happening ?? If just one side is sticky - then probably one or both slave cylinder plungers are part siezed . Could be a bit of rust starting esp. if brake fluid not changed regular ,,

I think you're right ruxy I've worked the piston a bit and it is more or less releasing now, I suspect lack of use is the cause as she hasn't done many miles this year. I'll take her for a run tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yes Tony there is a flexy, that was just me having a senior moment :blush:

What? Er, what were you asking? Anyway, might be a good time to change the whel cylinders. I had a Series 3 109 artic, that had been sitting about, brakes were a bit sticky, but went through an MOT OK. Then the following day absolutley no brakes!! As I took the drums off, everyone dumped brake fluid into my lap!