CVR(T) build plate (Spartan)

matadormike

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on where to look for a manufacturer's build plate on a Spartan?

(If such a thing is fitted)

I've got the hull number off the plate on the outside, but I'm looking for a build date which I can't narrow down more than 1981. (There's a stamped plate in the cupola with it on - and its date into service was in October 1981)

I'm wondering if it might have been covered by the 'foam' insulation somewhere, otherwise it might be missing.

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Mike,

You need the Merlin report to get the DIS. There should be a data plate in the rear compartment near the door but it will only tell you the registration no. and repair history.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

There doesn't appear to be a plate anywhere around the rear door, so I'm assuming its been removed at some point.

I got written confirmation of the date into service when I bought it, unfortunately I need a date of manufacture as well to keep the DVLA happy.

I also have a partial allocation history from the RAF Museum which also has the date into service on it.

A work colleague who used to work with CVR(T)'s said there would likely be a plate with a load of manufaturer data on it somewhere, including chassis number, build date, batch/contract number etc.

I was just wondering if I was looking in the wrong places, but it looks like its missing from mine.

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
No I pinched 48AT88 , sounds as though you got a vehicle from 2 Sqn or 15 Sqn based at RAF Hullavington.

Some pictures on here would be nice.

Reminds me of my youth, Had a spin in the back of a Spartan at Hullavington whilst on annual Camp (ATC). Must have made an impression because I can't remember where the camp was held, but can remember the RAF Regt being told to get off the runway and stop tearing up the nice new end of runway markings.......

Not only that spent another summer camp at RAF Laarbruck (sp) where IIRC 2 Sqd was based at the time and came across the following ditty.....

Don't give me 2 Sqd RockApes,

They eat Bananas and Grapes,

They swing through the trees with incredible ease,

don't give me 2 Sqd RockApes.

Or something like that ;)

Scary that that was twenty 'cough' something 'cough' years ago.......

No I pinched 48AT88 , sounds as though you got a vehicle from 2 Sqn or 15 Sqn based at RAF Hullavington.

Some pictures on here would be nice.

Close to mine - 48AT85 - still has the plate so you obviously werent in it...!

Excellent cheers for that..

I havent had a chance to dig into the history yet although was pretty sure it was RAF at some point. It has a list of call signs inside it as well indicating use with an Armoured Engineer regiment as its final posting (CETs, AVLBs, CRARRVs etc)...