US Twin Axle 8 Wheeler Trailer

Hi Everyone,

I bought this old Trailer today from a scrap yard, I am assured its American and WW2, It is articulated at the front with steps up inside, Electric brakes, one wheel holds both tires can anyone help with the identification ? There is a plate which I can just make out say 'Engineers Trailer' Does anyone know what it would have been used for ? Trailer 005.jpg

Trailer 001.jpg

Trailer 002.jpg

Trailer 003.jpg

Trailer 004.jpg

Pretty sure they were radio or radar vans (there were two of them). Mervyn Mayes might possibly be able to shed some light on it.

As Frank will have probably told you (whatever has come over him? :D), this one was formerly used by a builder and came from Yaxham railway station goods yard. I looked at it there a some years ago with a view to doing something with it and ran away from it even then, but seeing what you've done with the Chev it certainly won't be a problem for you.

Cool Thanks, yes he did tell me about the builder used it for keeping paint and cement in. amazingly the floor looks really good there cant be many trailers with concrete floor :-D it looks to have protected it well.. Dont think it will be ready for war and peace this year. Will make an excellent living Van I thought. Someone out there must have a picture of one in service..

It wont take long to remake the body, but not touching it until the Chev is ready...

Fantastic project, look forward to following Resto of that also.

Had a look on Google, nothing similar at moment. will have another look when time.

Gerry

Cool Thanks, yes he did tell me about the builder used it for keeping paint and cement in. amazingly the floor looks really good there cant be many trailers with concrete floor :-D it looks to have protected it well.. Dont think it will be ready for war and peace this year. Will make an excellent living Van I thought. Someone out there must have a picture of one in service..

It wont take long to remake the body, but not touching it until the Chev is ready...

It could have been used by a traveling circus as accommodation for the lion's......................

......................judging by the amount of jungle still growing on the rear bed......!

Certainly a tidy combination when done though.

I remembered today what I bought from Mervyn - it was back in approx. 1998 - 2000 and I think there were two trailers there, one was really rough, one was (a little) better. I recall one was to going be scrapped. I couldn't say if the one Frank had was the scrapper or the better one! :D

Mervyn might know more and maybe where the other one went.

Those wheels I do like those wheels,mmm well you have got your work cut out there again, but it will look very nice when complete, I am cean to look at the braking system on the trailer. all the best Howard.

Those wheels I do like those wheels,mmm well you have got your work cut out there again, but it will look very nice when complete, I am cean to look at the braking system on the trailer. all the best Howard.

Anorak...............!

A bit more on their history. They were used by Potter Bros Builders as site huts - quite probably bought from one of the Hethel sales - and after they'd finished with them they went to a scrap yard at Scarning.

And what do you know? The axles, wheels springs and turntable of the second trailer still exist and could be available as spares if required :)

Thanks for all the Info, I hope to get down to it soon and clear all the rubbish and growing things out, get the tyres fixed and moveable, Flat out on the Chevy at the moment, theres not enough hours in the day....

Thanks for all the Info, I hope to get down to it soon and clear all the rubbish and growing things out, get the tyres fixed and moveable, Flat out on the Chevy at the moment, theres not enough hours in the day....

Booked a 7.5 ton beaver tail for tomorrow to move the trailer from the Scrapyard, will take plenty of pictures...

M

Hi,

I found one the same on the net, A Mobile Radar Unit built in Canada, could be early 50s ! still searching....

Hi, Did you find out anything more on this- I know you have been busy!

I will try to remember to ask my dad- he was a MV Fitter in 233 OCU in the RAF based mainly in Pembry and also Norfolk in early '50s. working on ground approach radar generators as well as vehicals.

Gerry