Selling a vehicle overseas - preventing fraud

Great War truck

A friend is selling his MV. The buyer is based overseas and has offered to pay a deposit directly into his bank Account, so is asking for all of his bank details etc. The buyer has asked lots of relevant questions so appears to be genuine, however my friend is reluctant to give him the bank details in case money starts disappearing out instead of coming in. Is there a safer way to pay?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Tim

Admittedly sometimes not quite as easy as it sounds, but you should be able to open an additional bank account - that way if anything goes Pete Tong it is quite containable and you should be able to get the bank to impose restrictions on how money can be removed from this extra account :-)

A friend is selling his MV. The buyer is based overseas and has offered to pay a deposit directly into his bank Account, so is asking for all of his bank details etc. The buyer has asked lots of relevant questions so appears to be genuine, however my friend is reluctant to give him the bank details in case money starts disappearing out instead of coming in. Is there a safer way to pay?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

get your friend to copy any email headers & send them to me, I will check out where they are sent from. Also only contact the buyer through a landline, never a mobile number.. easy to do a search to see which country..

As said also speak to the bank directly & get their advice on receiving overseas funds

This is a tricky area, I had a case recently where a potential buyer contacted me form Italy full of effusive praise for a truck I was selling and offering top price with no negotiation.......... so far so good, but then as the deal unfolded he wanted my bank details so that he could transfer a hefty deposit (he suggested the figure well above the 10% I expect) into my account.

Now comes the deal breaker he would then send a carrier to pick up the truck and on the same day someone unspecified but not the guy I had been dealing with would pay the balance plus 15% extra into my account I had to then transfer the 15% to the first guy as a finders fee.

Obviously this was a real no no, so I told the gentleman to 'go away' and put it down to a one off poorly executed bad scam I mentioned the approach to someone I know in the banking world and they said that this was a common ploy used by money launders and in fact not only does the 15% go but a little while latter the rest of your account could follow it.

There is a sequel to this story a week or two latter another collector contacted me who was selling another truck and asked me if I had been approached by the same man claiming dealing with me as by way of justification. Was he for real ? and just on the make or was he a scammer I don't know.

My wife has been the victim of identity fraud in a case that is still under investigation so I am very wary of anyone I don't know on the web...... If you don't know them or you don't know someone who knows them be aware is the watchword !!

Pete

I'm not up on whether it's a good idea or not, but normal banking international money transfers are completed using IBAN/BIC numbers which you can get from your bank, not your normal bank details.

If I remember right, there was a scam a while back that related to some forms of transfers taking a while to complete. Money would appear in the account but not have cleared, giving a window to cancel the transaction and reverse the process. Make sure that the money is cleared funds genuinely transferred.

There's a lot online about money transfer fraud if you google it, and I think certain methods are more prone than others.

Edited by Lauren Child