Bedford MJ Springs

Burian

Hi, I have a Bedford MJ Turbo and I have a query on the springs. Both springs have additional spring clips, which appear to be a u shaped bracket with a bolt through the open end which sits in a sleeve which rests on the top spring. On my springs the sleeves appear to be wearing but I cannot see a part in the parts catalogue.

Has anyone had a similar problem and is there a supplier of theses parts. Would this cause an MOT fail?

Should the springs be lubricated, a friend with a volvo always oils his springs. I cannot find any reference to lubrication of the springs in the handbooks I have.

If I recall the U clip is riveted to the underside of the spring leaf. The sleeve is only a piece of pipe / tube which acts as a spacer so you can pull the bolt up tight. So it can easily be replaced, I would be surprised if it failed an MOT because of a worn sleeve but I am not really qualified to comment. In fact thinking about it I have a feeling the sleeve may be rolled so has a slit along full length - I'll look tomorrow.

I do not lubricate springs.

Just checked two trucks - one with recent new springs from a road spring manufacturer, one ex Electricity Board.

New springs are FRONT - bolts and tube, REAR - just bolts. The rears are helper spring type and have additional clips with three bolts spanning both main and helper pack, as well as the two leaf outer clips.

Elec Board truck has all clips with a threaded hole one side, so bolts (all with tubes) thread in to clip without requiring bolt.

So I would suggest just a bolt without tube is adequate for MOT, or else the spring makers would not supply in this condition. :)

Many thanks, I had a closer look today and the problem is confined to a few clips. They do appear to be rolled. I thought that I could simply replace the spacer, as it does not touch the spring, the diameter is not too critical. I will ask at my local HGV station for their opinon as to replacement.