Peerless lorries

Bruce Newsome

Can someone please clarify the different classes of Peerless chassis used for fighting vehicles. Tank Museum says that the Peerless armoured car was built on a TC4 chassis classed as 2.5 ton. An American site lists no 2.5 ton chassis, but a 3-ton chassis, which would convert to 2.7 British tons. I have British documents showing that a "4-ton" chassis was used to mount 3-inch AA guns during ww1 and after ww1 to carry a 18-pounder gun. The 3-inch mount seems to have been converted after ww1 into an armoured personnel carrier too. The chassis look similar in photographs. Does anyone know for sure what different classes were imported and were used for these different variants?

The TC3,TC4 and TC5 is basically the same chassis but with different springs. The WD purchased almost entirely TC4's (although some others were taken which had already arrived in the country for sale to private individuals). Aware that the Britsh Tommy would usually overload vehicles they down rated them to three tonners. Visually they are all the same (except for the TC2 which is shorter). There was a TC4 available with a longer chassis but i dont think the WD purchased any of these.

Tim

The TC3,TC4 and TC5 is basically the same chassis but with different springs. The WD purchased almost entirely TC4's (although some others were taken which had already arrived in the country for sale to private individuals). Aware that the Britsh Tommy would usually overload vehicles they down rated them to three tonners. Visually they are all the same (except for the TC2 which is shorter). There was a TC4 available with a longer chassis but i dont think the WD purchased any of these. Tim
Thanks Tim. I am still confused why the Peerless armoured car weighed less (5.75 tons) than the unarmoured lorry (6 tons).