Somme trip 2014

Great War truck

I have been asked by Dominique Bleunven if any WW1 vehicle owners would be interested in taking their vehicle from Nieuwpoort in Belgium to Albert in France for a nine day commemorative trip in 2014.

You may remember Dominique drove his De Dion on an epic trip last year to Switzerland and back.Learning from his experinces he is proposing a rest and mainenace day every other day.

He currently has about 20 vehicles lined up (all from France) and is looking for some British ones.

It is all early days at the moment but if anybody is interested then please let me know and we will find out more information.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

We would be very interested to take this trip, especially as it is arranged by a Frenchman.

I am thinking about good wine and French food!

Sounds superb, very leisurely, 150 miles in 9 days or is that 4 days of driving,

and should allow plenty of time for the drivers to detox each day!

On reflection there will be some quiet times with sobering visits to memorials and cemeteries where the reality of war for those who were affected will be felt.

Thanks for the notification and please add us to the list.

Tom

Edited by Charawacky
Deeper thoughts

Hi Tim,

not a snowball's chance in hell of my Napier being there, but if anyone has room for a passenger please count me in, sounds like an amazing trip! Do we have an estimated date? I'm mindful of the 70th D Day anniversary events in early June of that year, hopefully a few months apart?

I will start saving my pennies today!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Why the Somme ? In 2014 and not 2016 0n the 100th anniversary of that battle and part of the war, Surely Mons is the place to commerate the 100th anniversary of the Great War its also the year the Ypres Salient was formed ! Again that year was dominated by Horse Transport and Equipment

Just thinking out loud !