Paint scheme for Champ

simondema

Question

Hi all

Was wondering if there is a document which outlines the correct paint scheme for the Champ? I have found the correct colour for the body and engine, but what about all the other "bits"? For example, I have seen some Champs with the trailer socket painted yellow, while others have painted it green. On others, the wheel nuts have been painted white, while others red. What is correct and why such different colours?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards

Simon

7 answers to this question

Hi Clive

Thank you for your reply. I have followed the various links and now I understand. Effectively then there is no hard and fast rule as to what you paint the vehicle's assorted "bits", although from what I can gather, the fewer the colours the better. I guess if you wanted the Champ in a parade, then maybe the colour scheme would be different. Otherwise follow the KISS principle when it comes to paint: keep it green!

Simon

Simon I think that's the way to go at least to start with. Best not to dress it up too much as that can spoil the turnout of a vehicle. But with time there may be odd fancy bits that you might consider painting differently if you perhaps saw some in-service vehicles & wanted to emulate what you see in the photo.

As a further query to my original question, do most Champ restoration get painted by hand or airbrushed? I was reading that in the army chances are they would get a paintbrush, as airbrushing them would not have been practical.

I would guess that once the primer was applied to the various body parts and the chassis that it would only need 2 coats of DOG BS224 paint?

The same would apply for the motor?

Sorry about all the questions, but not much info out there on paints and painting.

Regards

Simon

Simon there is no doubting a good spray job can look better than when painted by hand. But DBG was available in "brushing" & "spraying" so hand painting would be perfectly authentic. No doubt spraying Sky Blue 101 of engines was carried out, but "heat resisting" Sky Blue was only available in "brushing". So I would say you should get away with brushing & feel comfortable about it :-D

When I say "available" I mean it was listed as a demandable item from Stores listed in VAOS (Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores) Section H1 (a)

Thanks Clive for your response

Depending on the costs, I will look at my options, although I would say using a paintbrush and doing it myself will be much more satisfying. I am currently looking at paint suppliers in Sydney, including Dulux. I believe they have both paints for the body and the engine. I guess what I am more concentrating on would be the correct preparation of the parts, including stripping of the old paint and using the correct primer. The top 2 coats, although important, are not as critical as the proper undercoat and primer. At least that's what I think, although I stand to be corrected.

Regards

Simon

Simon I didn't realise where you were, might be asking fellow Champ owners over there what paint resources they have found. Might be worth asking you fellow countrymen as there are a number of Champ owners in the postwar section of http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/

But be wary of buying paint from domestic outlets as they tend to be water colour paints these days.