Re: Any info on WW2 D6 CAT????

Hiya all,

Is there any CAT boffin's out there. I am after info on a CAT D6 all I can tell you (As the engine tag is that far gone!) Is it has a No29 Winch or pulley block on the back. I have been told these types were used for recovery on beaches on D-Day for knocked out LCTs and DDs in the water.

If anyone can add to this it would really help, I am a little out of depth on this one and I am hoping there is a subject matter expert out there!!!!

Thanks for looking.

Danny

I'm not sure D6 was used much during the war, D4, D7 and D8 being the main Cats used by the military together with Allis Chalmers and Internationals.

The Mod 29 PCU is a Caterpillar winch which is post war as Cat did not make any attachments themselves at that time. The serial number would tell you all you needed to know. This is on a small plate, there should be one on the left hand side of the engine block and another on the back of the transmission housing. Wartime D6 is either a 4R- or 5R- prefix for wide and narrow gauge respectively.

A picture would help too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Guys,

Sorry been away for abit. That pics help alot. But to be honest I am still none the wiser of the old girls ID and age!!!! The engine plate is that far gone I will have to wait. I am going to get a few pics soon and place them on the forum. As the project is through the REME there is a few interested parties and hopefully be some good press for the unit helping out.

Will post thm on here once completed.

;)

Cheers

Danny