British Jumpers-PRE Wooly Pully.

Scotch Harry

Nice pullys ! The first one is the last pattern evolving from the wartime heavy-duty pully.......this was a basic pully with no patches but had a drawcord neck, and originally formed part of the mountain troops kit.......second version appearing during the 1950s added elbow patches, third version added shoulder patches and the very last version MAY have had epaulettes, although not too certain about the latter.....

All these pullys had a reinforced neck with a tightening cord, and the second and subsequent versions all had cuff binding.....colour for all was a distinct brown with patches in a sandy colour cotton-drill, although the example shown appears to be more of an olive shade.....

I think the one shown must be one of the very last manufactured.....dated 1968 and NSN marked......the modern green version appearing in service around 1970.......

The second pully shown is the version originally designed for tropical use......just right for a sweaty jungle :-D

Edited by wdbikemad

As far as I know, the neck cord was a standard fitting to all the pre-68 wooly pullys......but when the green version appeared around 1970, the cord disappeared.....possibly because the neck fitting was improved within the knit design....

However, some individuals did continue to fit a drawcord to the neck for whatever reason, although strictly unnecessary on the newer design......usually a boot lace or similar.....:)

As far as I know, the neck cord was a standard fitting to all the pre-68 wooly pullys......but when the green version appeared around 1970, the cord disappeared.....possibly because the neck fitting was improved within the knit design....

However, some individuals did continue to fit a drawcord to the neck for whatever reason, although strictly unnecessary on the newer design......usually a boot lace or similar.....:)

When i was serving we found that the neck of the jumpers did sag slightly hence why alot of us fitted an old lace to pull it tightup to the shirt collars

When i was serving we found that the neck of the jumpers did sag slightly hence why alot of us fitted an old lace to pull it tightup to the shirt collars

That explains it as i have had a lot of jumpers over the years with neck cords and couldnt understand why.

I really like the first Jumper you have there! There is a company in the States making repros of these, but I have no idea of the quality. The company is "What Price Glory"...anyone have any experience with these guys and said Jumper?

• 3 weeks later...