lubrication (another rant!)

after discovering that the automotive (most effective) version of Nitromorz had been discontinued when looking to replace my used up 5L tin recently i've now hit the same problem with Holts Rustola, a graphited penetrating oil that used to be available in a handy 3in1 size (250ml) drip-in tin (argghhhh!)

only available now in aerosol (wtf?)

what is the world coming too when you can't just pick up a can of super-fine oil, tilt it and run a few drops into a rusty thread etc. (since when did an aerosol offer improved controlled dispersion over a drip-can and after say 2years sat on a shelf with 2/3 contents removed?!)

guess I will just have to cherish the memories of the wonderful properties of this easy-to-use now-extinct product :-(

DSC06230.jpg

Not to worry, that aerosol can will, after a year or so, de-pressurize and morf into a drip can, only needing the careful application of a sharp spike to release it's contents in a controlled manner. We of a pre 'self and hasty' age are able to thus rob the vendor of excess profits whilst many youngsters are left carrying the can!

nice one grity

havn't found anything graphited in local stores yet but see a small selection on ebay - Blast Off Screw Loose, undisclosed can capacity - looks like 400ml - hope so for the price - £11.64 delivered, Sterling 12x400ml pack £41.04 delivered and Tygris R209 (400ml), again sold in a 12pack and for £55.85 delivered

don't s'pose anyone here sells in their shop and can do me a can at a nice price? :)

or better still, anyone found it by the litre? in which case I can syringe it back into my drip-can :D

thanks for the link Toolman - havn't used Plusgas in years - remember it being an alternative to WD40 and something that tends to dry out fairly quick? / not as fine as graphited oil but memory may be doing me a disservice - happy to stand corrected and description certainly sounds tempting ...

• 2 weeks later...

right, my search has led me to Kano and their Kroil and Penephite oils, the latter of which sounds very similar to the Rustola I have taken for granted for several years

http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html

having failed to find a UK distributor, contacted Kano who have explained they don't have a UK agent as such but are happy to ship to the UK, explaining that others have previously clubbed together to share the Fedex haz-mat ($110), shipping etc. fees

their products sound like the real deal, they seem to be available in 1-gallon, 32oz and 8oz but have asked for confirmation and an idea on various prices and costs to get over

any interest? anyone already done this and got a secret stash they be willing to share?

after discovering that the automotive (most effective) version of Nitromorz had been discontinued when looking to replace my used up 5L tin recently i've now hit the same problem with Holts Rustola, a graphited penetrating oil that used to be available in a handy 3in1 size (250ml) drip-in tin (argghhhh!)

only available now in aerosol (wtf?)

So why not buy an aerosol can and squirt the entire contents into a small-ish plunger-type oil can? Job done!

ashamed to say that is a beautifully simple effective (and obvious) idea that had not occured to me - thanks :blush::)

still costing out importing some Penephite and Kroil - coming out at around £7.50/8oz can (screw top/drip-spout) delivered to UK with shipping/haz-mat fee but without customs duty/tax (awaiting confirmation on approximate liability)

• 3 weeks later...

PG212.jpg

this appeared on the market (310391165381) in the right quantity (500ml) and at the right price (£6 delivered) - my drip-can is now full once more and i've still half an aerosol to play with - happy days

(discovered it's best not to tilt drip-can until it has warmed up again tho :))