1944 CMP C15 Chevvy.

kevin powles

Hi, I have just purchased a CMP c15 Chevvy, it is currently subject to an MOT and I want to get it MOT'ed. The cab is very rusty and so is the buck, I plan to remove the cab and buck and run it intially as an open cab with no rear buck. What is required for an MOT ON THIS TYPE OF VEHICLE?. The Chassis,running gear and engine is all very good. Could someone advise on the requirement for an MOT please.

thanks kevin.

Hi,

Just to be clear, this vehicle requires an MoT if it was built before 1st Jan 1960 and has a GVW of less than 3,500kg.

Assumign this is the case, your truck needs to meet the Construction & Use requirements that were in force at the time. Essentially this means that if the truck is preserved or restored to factory standards of braking, lighting etc. you should be fine. Emissions will be 'visible emissions' only so as long as it doesn't smoke, you're ok. With regard to removing the rear body, you will probably be required to fit simple spray protection in the form of wheelarches and mud flaps. If the rear lights were mounted to the body you will need to move them to the chassis. Don't forget rear red reflectors.

With regard to the test in general I'd suggest you find yourself a few friendly local MoT stations, explain the situation and take their advice. You will probably get a wide variety of advice, some of which will be based on fact, and some of which will be opinion.

You do not require indicators or seat belts. Screen washers are only required on non-folding windscreens so you should be ok there.

- MG