70 years in the making?

deadline

I'm sure someone, somewhere has an original, pristine CCKW oil filter. Till we find it and beg for pictures I hope this will do.

Many thanks to the many people who have helped get to this point.

file.php?id=354&mode=view

Ain't she pretty?

For the longest time I believed that filters were white, but learned they were gray.

Two days before going to press I found (and was also sent) color pictures from a Gent that had an original oil filter, with the original decals still in visible.

The body was gray and and filter decal was yellow/black (I had believed they were black/white).

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=613

That link has pics to originals that I based the final colors off of.

Color film was not rare in the 40's. I'm sure GM has boxes full of CCKW production photos... but anyone who has spoken to the folks in the GM Archives will quickly learn what I did.... they simply don't believe that GM was part of WWII. They will not even entertain the possibility of thinking of looking for anything in the 1940-1945 time frame.

To GM, the world started in the 50's. You will not get much of anything out of them before that decade.

So you are left with B&W film and hoping you stumble across something on the internet... like I did.

I'm sure someone, somewhere has an original, pristine CCKW oil filter. Till we find it and beg for pictures I hope this will do.

Many thanks to the many people who have helped get to this point.

file.php?id=354&mode=view

Ain't she pretty?

Indeed she is ! :D

:nono: Now, now, you've got more important things to sort out before worrying about the lub filter lipstick :-D :angel:

:rotfl:Your right about that N.O.S. ! :rolleyes: :-D Currently messing with the metal work in the cargo seats at the moment in the garage, prior to refitting. Top 4 jobs to do after that are (in no particular order) now the weather is getting better:

1. Check the timing.

2. Check the valve clearances.

3. Replace the 5 remaining flexible brake pipes.

4. Replace the rubber hose on the the pipe down to the hydrovac.

Keep well :)

Vulture

• 3 weeks later...
:rotfl:Your right about that N.O.S. ! :rolleyes: :-D Currently messing with the metal work in the cargo seats at the moment in the garage, prior to refitting. Top 4 jobs to do after that are (in no particular order) now the weather is getting better:

1. Check the timing.

2. Check the valve clearances.

3. Replace the 5 remaining flexible brake pipes.

4. Replace the rubber hose on the the pipe down to the hydrovac.

Keep well :)

Vulture

Hey N.O.S.

Accomplished one one my four missions on Thursday replacing out the hose down to the Hydrovac.

Here it is in situ

2893663000099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

And with it removed, you can clearly see the cracking2844084480099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

Which on inspection is about 2/3 of the way through the pipe :shocked:

2179569750099353463S600x600Q85.jpg

This ended up being one of the jobs where I feared it was going to be a complete pig, and in fact it was straightforward with the hose coming off relatively easy, and the replacement going on after just a small struggle :D

Next job, the brake hoses...

Kind regards

Vulture

I know its probably a stupid thing to mention but you did use vacuum hose so it does not collapse when under vacuum !!!!!!

Yes, absolutely :) Decided to avoid the issue of taking off the hose and then having to trek round local supplies to find something suitable, so I swung by to see Rex Ward last Wednesday and he (unsurprisingly) had some that is man enough for the job :) Whilst I was there I also picked up some new brake bleed nipples as well.

Kind regards

Vulture

The only real difference is that vacuum hoses of large diameter will have a metal coil either embedded into the material or simply inserted into the hose. Some hoses are just made of such a hard/thick material to resist the compression.. but IIRC the CCKW uses the metal interior support method.

Get a properly under sized wood rod, PVC or whatever (it has to be undersized to account for springback) and you can make your own support coil. If you google how to make a spring you'll see the process.. its simple.