Bendix balls too big

skelly

Hi all.

I have been a bit quiet as I have been busy on my jeep, however I have hit a bit of a snag.

I have removed my LH front half shaft and bendix type CV joint in order to do some work on my front diff.

Now when I pulled the shaft, the CV joint felt horribly tight and graunchy so I stripped and cleaned it and measured the balls and re assembled it, it still felt horrible as if the balls were oversize.

All 4 balls measure .875 inch which I think is a std size and the 2 halves of the CV joint look pretty normal but its difficult to take any meaningful measurements but nothing looks weird apart from normal wear.

Also the middle ball looks ok and the pin is also ok and a decent fit in the shaft and the ball.

Has anybody encountered this before ? I couldn't find much info on smaller balls when I did a search on here.

Also does anybody know where I can get some .874'' or .873 balls in sunny England ?

Its gota be worth a shot as I'm not going to run it as it is because its just wrong.

Cheers.

Skel.

Hi all.

I have been a bit quiet as I have been busy on my jeep, however I have hit a bit of a snag.

I have removed my LH front half shaft and bendix type CV joint in order to do some work on my front diff.

Now when I pulled the shaft, the CV joint felt horribly tight and graunchy so I stripped and cleaned it and measured the balls and re assembled it, it still felt horrible as if the balls were oversize.

All 4 balls measure .875 inch which I think is a std size and the 2 halves of the CV joint look pretty normal but its difficult to take any meaningful measurements but nothing looks weird apart from normal wear.

Also the middle ball looks ok and the pin is also ok and a decent fit in the shaft and the ball.

Has anybody encountered this before ? I couldn't find much info on smaller balls when I did a search on here.

Also does anybody know where I can get some .874'' or .873 balls in sunny England ?

Its gota be worth a shot as I'm not going to run it as it is because its just wrong.

Cheers.

Skel.

how old is the cv joint it seems wrong that who ever fitted it who put a u/s one on more so one with over size ball bearings in it i am thinking its more worn to make it graunchy But i have no working knowledge of the set up.