can sombody tell me what kind of trailer this is

Hi Hans,

As you probably know there has been requests about this trailer before on another forum five years ago:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9822

The general form of the body with two folding curved lids and metal support brackets seems to have been used by linesmen and cable jointers for many years.

This picture below of of a handcart at the excellent Amberley Museum's British Telecom exhibition:

It has the a similar curved lid and steel brackets. I am guessing that they where to keep lids horizonal when open and form a working surface.

A trailer very similar to your one was for sale in UK a few years ago, but it had a later towhitch and was being advertised as being post-war ex-Post Office Telephones trailer. These trailers appear to be designed to carry the tools and equipment for a cable jointer or linesman.

I don't remember seeing one in the Marshall Collection at Overloon, and they seem to have a very good selection of the WWII engineering and cable/linemsmen's kit.

As your trailer is plated as 1/2 ton rather than 10cwt it seems most likely to be postWWII.

gpo_1475_320.gif