From foam tender to shop van.

HWade

Heres a new blog on a new restoration project. The GMC 353 started out as a Foam Tender truck which I acquired from a local airfield. It was purchased mainly for the Cab which I used on a different project which is now just about complete.Rather than break the rest of the truck for parts, its now going to resort back to a closed cab Shop van. The closed cab has been sourced and so has the shopvan body.The plan is to convert the shopvan into a camper.The shopvan body is empty so its an ideal candidate for a bespoke build to how its required. The entire shopvan body will also need to be reskinned. Today I set to work with a friend of mine and we stripped of the entire foam tender body, this came away in five different sections, the heaviest part being the built in foam tank.We started at about 8am and finished at 4pm. I am now left with a chassis with engine, wings and grill, brake pipes old wiring to remove. Once all of this is out, it will go into the blasting bay.There was no rear cross member on the truck but I have also managed to get hold of one of these as well as the braces and the spring for the pintle hook.I also have the correct bumperettes for the rear of the truck these have wooden block extentions on them due to the length of the shopvan body.Heres a few pics to be going on with.

Enjoy Howard.

IMAG0218.jpg

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00124.JPG

DSC00125.JPG

DSC00127.JPG

Hi M yes at least it will be another GMC saved, should look very nice with the closed cab and shopvan body, I hope to have the rest of the tin work and engine and gearbox out next week.I Will keep you all informed with plenty of pics. Howard

Just a bit of an up date on the restoration, the rest of the tin work was removed today, along with the radiator, and the engine and gearbox, have also started to remove the brake pipes and fuel lines in preparation for grit blasting and priming.Heres a few more pics for all of you to enjoy.Howard.

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00154.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

DSC00155.JPG

DSC00169.JPG

Hello Joris, yep this one will be up for grabs, as and when its completed. As I am starting with an empty shell the shop van body can be bespoke built to the buyers requirements.Would make a real nice camper for the shows.

Cheers Howard

A mate of mine has a converted toolset, it's the best of both worlds! Unfortunately you need a HGV licence to drive these beasts and since I've never been in the military I do not have that (and it's expensive!!).

Most dutchmen who do not drive a HGV for a living but have a licence for it anyway acquired it during their mandatory service.