Question - French diesel conversions for Jeeps?

Jolly Jeeper

Why fit a diesel in a MB or GPW in the first place?

The cost of buying the engine, plus the cost of installing it, doesn't make sense to me.

In a vehicle that is driven very little. You can get lots of liters of pristine gasoline for the money of converting it.

Diesel conversions are commonplace in France, apparently. Saw hordes of French registered MV's with diesel's blowing black smoke all over the place, last time I was in Normandy 2009.

Goran N

The reason I was asking Goran, is because years ago times were different and a French company offered conversions to put diesels in Jeeps in place of worn out flatheads and I was after the name of the company that used to offer the conversion.

Your question about 'why fit a diesel in an MB or GPW' makes a few assumptions; that it's to replace a petrol engine rather than fill an empty hole; that it's only driven a few miles; that it's an MB/GPW; that the engine has to be bought; that there's a cost in fitting it...