*&^%$###@XXS Wings

M8Greyhound

OK here goes.....Jack its not only you that has bad days mate........

Has anybody here successfully fitted their front fenders to their MB/GPW with original wings and repro tubs....

Easy job i thought.....OH YEAH...all day lots of swearing..head scratching.....thrown hammers and copious pondering...... :roll:

All tub bolts loose.....front grill loose...small bottle jack used.....

AND STILL THEY DONT LINE UP

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP.....

Feel better now

Regards

Loyd

Has anybody here successfully fitted their front fenders to their MB/GPW with original wings and repro tubs....

Loyd

Lloyd not quite sure I understand your problem. By front fender you do mean the front wings? You are trying to fit original front wings to a repro tub? Yeah? Is the tub MD Juan?

I had a similar problem, one side fitted pretty much ok, the other just didn't line up at all!

Well when the chips are down Lloyd, its battlefield engineering.

Forget the captive nuts, and make with the drill! You're gonna go bold!

Sorry mate, I know thats not what you wanted to hear. Clamp it up where it looks right, and redrill.

Karoshi

any tips buddy before i lose what little hair ive got left...:-)

Lloyd,

Check it has the correct thickness of packing between the body and chassis. It may improve the lining up if you can lift the body slightly at either front or rear. I came across a similar problem once when someone had a body repaired underneath with a larger "top hat" section, that threw the front out of line.

Kewelde

No thats EXACTY what i wanted to hear mate...because that was going to be the last resort but before i did that i wanted to consult the oracle..... :D

I have elongated the 3 holes where they bolt to the front grill

Elongated the two fender support to chassis mount bolt holes

and cut the "tab" off where it bolts to the chassis top on the driver side above the shock absorber

and the still dont quite line up...its like the angle of the tub isnt quite the same as the fender angle.

Kewelde sorry mate missed the post...i have the correct ??? repro tub mount rubber spacer kits and tub mount pads from TS Autos.....i was using a small 1/2 ton bottle jack with all the tub bolts and radiator brace and oil pressure guage line disconnected and was raisin and lowering to try and align the fenders to tub.

Regards and thanks for the help

LLoyd

Hi Kewelde...no definatley not......thats is for 100% sure.....here is what one memeber of the G503 told me.....

To: Leatherneck17

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:54 pm

Subject: Re: re fender to tub fit

Hi loyd yes I been there twice once with a CJ2a and now with an MB it appears to only be with the tubs in O/D the newer ones they changed the angle its not much out but enough to be a pain in the butt to get over and whats more it doesn`t help any even if you had Juan wings there still the

same,you have really two choices on from here either you redo the angle by cutting it off and repositioning it or try and fit it as it is.if you go this way bolt the wing to the tub first once you have done that force up the front of the wing without bending the top of the wing,they are fairly flexable and you will note it will be the inner wing that moves slightly but not by much,if you get this far check out the holes for the wing top hat to see how they line up if they are just a small amout out you can just enlarge them to help with the alignment

regards geoff

it looks like M D JUan had a problem with earlier tubs....the ones in green...but the later O/D ones they changed the angle of the "slant....

Regards

Lloyd