interesting Jeep story...

RattlesnakeBob

whilst generally mooching the www for Jeep related info/pictures etc...

I came across this..

.....anyone on here been given 2 Jeeps?...told to "come and tow them away" ???? ....

....cripes...I wish.

Yes, many many years ago me and my Brother were given several old Jeeps, come and tow 'em away or they go for scrap, one of them was an airbourne one with detachable steering wheel !! just a novelty then,but then a running Jeep with mot was only worth £30, But then we were given all sorts of vehicles,a Daimler light 15, Y model Fords, when i was still at school a friend donated his old MK7 Jaguar to me to drive around our old farm, taught me a lot in the art of sideways drifting in the dirt! had considerably more power than the various Austin 7's i also had. We were pushing an Austin 7 home which we had been given, stopped for a breather, when someone came out of their house and asked did we want another one! they had dumped one in the bushes at the bottom of their garden, we came back later and got that one home too !

As soon as I got my driving licence... well it all went down hill from there, buying Daimler Dingo's from Ruddington auctions for

£35 each, almost a give away, and years on it still hasn't stopped ! only difference is nothing now is given away its worth lots of money !

Edited by Nick Johns

Yes, many many years ago me and my Brother were given several old Jeeps, come and tow 'em away or they go for scrap, one of them was an airbourne one with detachable steering wheel !! just a novelty then,but then a running Jeep with mot was only worth £30, But then we were given all sorts of vehicles,a Daimler light 15, Y model Fords, when i was still at school a friend donated his old MK7 Jaguar to me to drive around our old farm, taught me a lot in the art of sideways drifting in the dirt! had considerably more power than the various Austin 7's i also had. We were pushing an Austin 7 home which we had been given, stopped for a breather, when someone came out of their house and asked did we want another one! they had dumped one in the bushes at the bottom of their garden, we came back later and got that one home too !

As soon as I got my driving licence... well it all went down hill from there, buying Daimler Dingo's from Ruddington auctions for

£35 each, almost a give away, and years on it still hasn't stopped ! only difference is nothing now is given away its worth lots of money !

Oh to have been around in those days !.

ah well...Like you I guess I'd have eventually sold them off anyways!...

Not far from me is a fella who has spent the last 50 years or so dealing in Landrovers..before that as a young man in the 50s he told me that he once put a new clutch in a Landrover for a timber cutting fella.

..This chap had previously been operating a couple of ex-army wartime Jeeps with timber tushing jibs rigged in the back of each.......this harsh life had taken it's toll on them and they'd eventually expired and ended up dumped in the meadow at the back of his yard......A deal was agreed with my old mate.............supply and fit a new clutch (total worth of job was estimated at about 25 quid) and......... be paid with the 2 Jeeps..

..simples!.......

I was amazed that my mate had acquired 2 Jeeps for about £25 quids worth of work including a clutch plate.... but.......... he cautioned me with this continuation of his tale.....

A week or so later a dealer fella came by on his usual round with his scrap lorry and offered good money for the pair of worn out Jeeps.....Dave seeing a profit and a very quick turn around made a deal which at the time he was very happy with.......... "How much did you sell them for then ?" I asked.....

£40 quid each was the answer....

Days long gone by :-)

In the early 1980s I used to regularly stop at a particular truck stop for refreshments, the owner of the caf`e owned a Jeep that they had bought from the military in 1948. They used the Jeep purely for fun driving on private grounds, subsiquently it was never registered. I eventually did some works for this guy, whilst doing the works it gave me an opportunity to have a closer look at the Jeep, it was totally original and unrestored, still having all the original markings.

On closer inspection I could see that the elements were beginning to take a toll on the bodywork, mostly superficial at that point, the canvas although in good visual order had lost its colour and was probably no longer waterproof. We had sold Jeeps in the 1950s-60s , I also drove a couple that we had in Germany during my military service in the mid 1950s, and I fell in love with the thing and desperately wanted to acquire the Jeep and restore it. The money that the guy owed to me was certainly in excess of the value of the Jeep at that time, I asked him to let me have the Jeep in full payment..... he said, really, would you accept that? I said yes, he thought about it for a few moments and then said, no... I dont think so, we have had it for a long time, and I think that my son wants to restore it. At that time military vehicle restoration was very much in its infancy, within a very few years I had attended several country shows, and discovered a few restored military vehicles in the corner the field. I began to talk with the owners, who suggested that if I was interested then I should get involved. I started to look for another Jeep, but before I could find one, a friend told me of a GMC that had been laying in a field in Denmark. I went to view the GMC and purchased it, I now set about restoring it. On taking the GMC on its maiden trip, I decided to call at the caf`e (Jeep) just to show my pride and joy to the owner of the Jeep that I almost acquired. He came out to look at the Jimmy and during our conversation I asked him if his son had completed the restoration of the Jeep. He said, no, I asked what had happened to it, he replied, its in the garage. I asked if I could have a look, we walked to the garage and he opened the garage door......... the sight that met me was enough to make a grown man cry....... it had fallen to bits, completely rotted through.