Comments please

Tony B

This picture includes Number One Son's maternal Great Grandfather, the one with the X underneath. There has also come with it brass 'button' for want of a better word, when I get a decent picture of it I'll post it. The button has the wroding East Lancashire Regiment, Prince of Wales own Vols. on it. A quick internet flick shows the regiment did serve in Africa from after the Boer war till 1914. Any comments on equipment and details of rail stuf perhaps, very welcome.

GGGF.jpg

Quite an interesting picture.. The more i look at it the more interesting it becomes, the man on the far left must be the one in charge. Are they holding lee-metford's? Those deffinatly dont look like MLE's, or SMLE's to me.

And the building behind the far right man almost looks like a block house.

Unfortunatley the picture is a scan of a copy. I thought they rifles were Long Lees. The belts are definitley Snake Buckles. Firat steps on a long trail I suspect. Tom's Grandfather died just before Christmas and the man marked X was his Father, unfortunatley Tom seems to be the only one intrested in the history. He's going to try and get more documents if he can.

The P14's could match, There were batallions in Eygypt in 1914 and Messopitania 1916. Pre was there were battalions, and I swear I've just found out, in Jersey 1897 to 1900:-D also India 1897-1911. Now time to start trying to find out what the likley equipment issue would be to battalions at that time.

Looks like they are wearing Pattern 1914 belts and bandoleer pouches.

Also you can just see the bayonet handles on the far right man, and second and third from the left. you can actually zoom in surprisingly close without distorting the picture too much