Godiva / Coventry Climax Genny Set.

ruxy

Hi folks ,

I am doing a bit of research on a genny set that is coming up for sale. I was asked to view by the present owner. On forum search - I found this thread that has supplied much information. I had difficulty in identification of the flathead engine , seems it is a Coventy Climax Swift.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?25539-Coventry-Climax-Godiva-Genterator&highlight=GODIVA

On Gooooging Swift Motors , it seems the engine is probably well prior to WW2 ? I had considered WW2 era but - I am reliably informed it was installed in a cinema during WW2 (until recent removal) so unless it was liberated - then I would say pre- WW2. The general overall condition , I would say is exceptional - it recently started and ran without load no problem. It must have been in good dry storage all these years , I rubbed paint off the Godiva badge on the radiator header - there was just slight surface rust.

I think the genny should Megger out good.

The condition is such that it should be saved as a "Heritage" show display , suitable to power a mobile cinema for the troops or whatever - I don't know.

The distributor is a Lucas and seems to be screened ignition ! was it originally intended for military signals ? I assume it is Ex-MOD due to DBG , but I did not see a "Broad-arrow" , also despite looking - I did not find the main makers plate . I have no doubt it is where I did not look - see the existing thread (bottom of radiator support bracketry). Zenith carburetter , complete with starting handle but is battery start.

I would be interested to hear from any forum member who knows more of the history / age of these set , also if anybody can give a realistic estimate of £ value ?

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

The Parts List I have for one of these refers to them as ZB.10469 Generating Sets Coventry Climax 4 K.V.A.

The Working Instructions also list them as being 4-K.V.A Single Phase, 100 Cycles.

They are late war sets (Manual dated April 1944) designed amongst other things to replace the ONAN sets used in QL and Armoured Command Vehicles. They were also manufactured into the 1950's and the only place you are likely to find a date is is on the gauges which may have been changed during post war rebuilds.

The one offered on the Stationary Engine Forum recently had a separate plug in control panel to actually regulate the out put, but this one looks like a slightly different model to the one you picture.

They are not that rare and and normally atract no more than about £150.00.

You don't say if yours is the 3.5 or 4 K.V.A version.

Edited by REME 245