Hi

Julian_S

Hello from another new chap living near Warrington. I don't really have any military background although my dad fought the Germans in Italy with his trusty Sherman. (if that helps:red:) I do have lots of old crap lying around like Caterpillar D4's and steam rollers. Anyway, I was steered in this direction by a chap on the CMN forum as I'm on the look-out for a serviceable turbocharger to suit a Rolls/Perkins Eagle. I'll post in the wanted section later......

Cheers Julian.

Blimey, an introduction with two interesting stories at once!

Can you tell us more about your dad and your D4's ?

Oh an before I forget, welcome to the forum!!

Well he want through Sandhurst and was a Captain, and a Major in the TA after the war. It always amazes me how young the officers were as he was not long out of school and had only just started working as a clark at the Blue Funnel Line (Alfred Hold) in Liverpool.

He spent the rest of his life after the war partially deaf and with permanent tinnitus due to noise of the gun in his tank. I don't really remember many of his stories but he became fluent in Italian and married an Italian Contessa. Sadly I never met her as he was onto his third wife before I emerged!

I do remember that he remains convinced that he owes his life to the lack of a power traverse on the Tiger tank. They happened upon one in a town and he got two shots at it, both hits, the first an HE (always kept an HE up the spout) and a second AP, both of which bounced off the Tiger's armour. During this time the Tigers gun was slowly traversing in their direction, but its slow movement allowed them just enough time to back up out of the way! A hit from the Tigers (88mm?) gun would surely have killed the Sherman and its crew.

Julian.

Well he want through Sandhurst and was a Captain, and a Major in the TA after the war. It always amazes me how young the officers were as he was not long out of school and had only just started working as a clark at the Blue Funnel Line (Alfred Hold) in Liverpool.He spent the rest of his life after the war partially deaf and with permanent tinnitus due to noise of the gun in his tank. I don't really remember many of his stories but he became fluent in Italian and married an Italian Contessa. Sadly I never met her as he was onto his third wife before I emerged! I do remember that he remains convinced that he owes his life to the lack of a power traverse on the Tiger tank. They happened upon one in a town and he got two shots at it, both hits, the first an HE (always kept an HE up the spout) and a second AP, both of which bounced off the Tiger's armour. During this time the Tigers gun was slowly traversing in their direction, but its slow movement allowed them just enough time to back up out of the way! A hit from the Tigers (88mm?) gun would surely have killed the Sherman and its crew.Julian.
Hi Julian. Firstly welcome along, and secondly thanks for sharing that great story about your father :)Kind regards Ian