1963 Pattern Windproof Smocks - Common as Muck !

wdbikemad

Unbelievably, I have today found another 1963 Pattern DPM Windproof Smock, less than 5 miles from where I recently found my other.....

This one is in fine condition, Size 3, usual "early" "dotted" DPM cloth, NZ zipper and made by James Smith & Co (Derby) Ltd Staveley......seems a later production version though, probably 73-75 as a high contract number "A/78/CLO/45819/CB(CT)4B" and the label is in a nylon-type material rather than cotton.....cost a tad more than my last one at £10 :cool2: but well worth it and less than £60.....

Also managed to find a pair of Size 8 1952 pattern OD Sateen Combat Trousers dated 1953 in used but good condition for a tenner...they are made by "Silberston Ltd" and only have "Trousers Combat" on the label, no year-pattern designation or the word "Sateen"......unusually, they appear to carry a hand-applied brown-dyed cammo pattern to them but this is very hard to see unless in the right light.....

My other find of the day was a brand-new genuine modern USAF CWU36P nomex flying jacket in a size XL for......a tenner !!! A saving of well over a ton for one of these......

Good job I got my arse out of bed today and went to the "Dallas Dig-out" a mile away from home....:-D

Edited by wdbikemad

I am planning to spend a few hours over the next few weekends uploading some piccies (at last)....Dave makes me feel so guilty..:cry:.!!

I will probably part with one of the two DPM 63 pattern windproofs that I have.......it's a case really of which one...? The first one obtained is in really nice condition but the label is difficult to read.....BUT, it is a really big size....I am guessing a 6 or 8......this one is in the "yellow", "non-dotted" cammo.........the one today is a more conventional issue, similar to yours Jason, but a later contract.....

I wish to do similar with my rather large collection of 68 pattern smocks and trousers.....I have virtually all the standard sizes and all NOS, and to be honest I don't need them all for the book...! Other stuff in quantity includes DPM tropical kit, SAS DPM windproofs, aircrew, some green 60 pattern, green PLCE, 44, etc.......

I'm far more interested in swaps though.......but before anything, I really need a day at the farm to simply pull everything out and to see exactly what I have tucked away......I simply can't remember !!!:undecided:

Steve - I have been 'purging' my collection for some time now. Really no point in multiple items unless there is a good reason...

Drop me a note once you have catalogued and we can see if there is a swap in the offing!

Wildo Jason.....I am far more inclined to swap with my friends rather than involve money.....that way, we all benefit...:-)

By the way, not forgotten about zips and cords.......just need a day over at the farm.....!

There's no fraying or damage on the larger smock, Dave.....and it still has much of the black finish on the "AZF" zip......buttons are 4-hole pattern in khaki (same as on 68 pattern trousers for brace-buttons)......cammo colour is a rather "yellow" shade of DPM (without the "dotted" pattern), heavy cotton-gabardine fabric (white-backing) and label is cloth with just about the contract number and "James Smith" details visible......looks to have seen little wear although has been washed at least once.......I am 6'3" and broad-shouldered and this thing almost dwarfs me....it is big in the body, and long in the sleeves and length........I will get some photos together...!!

No rush......

Well Steve, if you want an olive green '63 pattern smock in trade for your bigger '63 DPM pattern, you know where to come ! :D

(Sorry Jason ! )

As much as it pains me Dave....I understand.

Tell me once the transaction is completed and I will mount a midnight raid on Steve's farm stash! :D