UK Sherman Firefly

ajmac

So, when can we expect to see a Vc at Tankfest or any other show, is 2012 going to be the year?

I understand that both Rex Cadman and Kevin Wheatcroft are on with projects in England but how close are they to completion? Oh, if you read this Maurice, are you on the home run with that 1c?

I don't suppose either of the restorers would like to post a photo of there projects as they stand... Jack you could do a pathfinder shoot... No, the issue of what constitutes a Tank is still up in the air at the clubhouse, so we better leave it until that is sorted first:-D

So, when can we expect to see a Vc at Tankfest or any other show, is 2012 going to be the year?

I understand that both Rex Cadman and Kevin Wheatcroft are on with projects in England but how close are they to completion? Oh, if you read this Maurice, are you on the home run with that 1c?

I don't suppose either of the restorers would like to post a photo of there projects as they stand... Jack you could do a pathfinder shoot... No, the issue of what constitutes a Tank is still up in the air at the clubhouse, so we better leave it until that is sorted first:-D

Not any time soon, I suspect.

A tank is a tank, an SP is an SP.........;)

Adrian B , you need to get over the issue that my M10 Achilles is not a " TANK " in your eyes !!! the only bit thats different bewteen your tank and my tank destroyer is mine is missing its turret roof and that mine has by far got the better gun , and what could have been better in the summer months than not having a roof !!!! , You also seem to forget mine is called a TANK DESTROYER , and it probaly has the best gun in it of any allied tank in WW2 , far better than your very short barrelled , very low velocity gun that you have in you tank .

The first round of drinks at A&E is still with you Mr Barrell !!!!

Adrian B , you need to get over the issue that my M10 Achilles is not a " TANK " in your eyes !!! the only bit thats different bewteen your tank and my tank destroyer is mine is missing its turret roof and that mine has by far got the better gun , and what could have been better in the summer months than not having a roof !!!! , You also seem to forget mine is called a TANK DESTROYER , and it probaly has the best gun in it of any allied tank in WW2 , far better than your very short barrelled , very low velocity gun that you have in you tank .

The first round of drinks at A&E is still with you Mr Barrell !!!!

a bit below the belt talking about a gentleman's short barrel.

Especially when his long barrel neds a support tube half way to keep it up.......

Besides the jokes, is that associated with deactivation? How far does deactivation go for such a large weapon... Cutting the end off the firing pin, weakening the receiver, but do you have to cut through a percentage length of the barrel and weld in a plug as in MGs and rifles?

The tube is sleeved because the original 'deactivation' when it left the army simply consisted of cutting the tube in half. It had been rejoined when put on display but it was not quite straight! We re-did it and used a tubular sleeve to get an accurate alignment.

The deactivations consists of welding a plug in the chamber at least 2" thick, and welding bars across the rear opening of the breech ring. If it had a block, the bars would not be necessary but the block would need to have a cross cut into the front face and the firing pin hole welded up.

Righto - have just spoken with Wheatcrofts and no their Firefly project is not on the books for restoration anywhere in the near future....!

I have had a stressful year:whistle:

Oh dear. And it could happen to any of us? In terms of self-diagnosis, are there any signs of DEACTIVATION we should be looking out for, Jack - other than the obvious ones of not being able to log on or retrieve private messages?

The tube is sleeved because the original 'deactivation' when it left the army simply consisted of cutting the tube in half. It had been rejoined when put on display but it was not quite straight! We re-did it and used a tubular sleeve to get an accurate alignment.

The deactivations consists of welding a plug in the chamber at least 2" thick, and welding bars across the rear opening of the breech ring. If it had a block, the bars would not be necessary but the block would need to have a cross cut into the front face and the firing pin hole welded up.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of joining Adrian Scott's 17 Pdr gun up after cutting it apart to straighten it, but here are some photographs of the same process used on another gun. The pictures are not very good, but show how it was done. The last picture shows Adrian Scott's gun behind.

HPIM1939.jpg

HPIM1941.jpg

HPIM1944.jpg

HPIM1947.jpg