Older Pattern Crewman's Coverall

Eaglehurst

Not seen one of these recently. Good size and great condition. Prym press studs and James Smith manufacture - made out of heavy duty nylon. 8415 NSN and Prym studs would seem to indicate later manufacture but the use of pre-metric sizing seems to point to c. 1979 - 1981....(v.happy to be corrected on that estimate!)

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

Edited by Eaglehurst

Steve - do you have any background on these? Dates of introduction etc? Is 9 the largest size as per smocks/trousers of the era?

Hi Jason. They're not listed in my '86 CG (combat clothing) catalogue but this only covers items under "CG".....and being a waterproof coverall and for tank crews it is likely listed under another catalogue that I sadly don't have.....

I reckon these do run from 1 to 9, and I would hazard a guess at early 1970's design, probable introduction by 1976-77 and phasing out around the late-1980's along with most other nylon waterproofs in favour of breathable fabrics.....the older size range and use of Newey fasteners (on my example) would suggest 1970's and "Prym" (who bought out Newey) would suggest late-1970s onwards for your example (same studs used in late-1970's/early 80s para smocks, etc.....

I suspect many of these suits were worn in BAOR during the 70s and 80s by tank crews.......any old armoured Vet's on here know more...?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jason. They're not listed in my '86 CG (combat clothing) catalogue but this only covers items under "CG".....and being a waterproof coverall and for tank crews it is likely listed under another catalogue that I sadly don't have.....

I reckon these do run from 1 to 9, and I would hazard a guess at early 1970's design, probable introduction by 1976-77 and phasing out around the late-1980's along with most other nylon waterproofs in favour of breathable fabrics.....the older size range and use of Newey fasteners (on my example) would suggest 1970's and "Prym" (who bought out Newey) would suggest late-1970s onwards for your example (same studs used in late-1970's/early 80s para smocks, etc.....

I suspect many of these suits were worn in BAOR during the 70s and 80s by tank crews.......any old armoured Vet's on here know more...?

Contrary to my ramblings above, I have just found these coveralls listed in the August 86 edition of the QM CG (combat clothing) catalogue !!!:D

They are listed as a current item, sizes 1 to 9, NSN 8415 99 130 0609 for a height 5'3" to 5'7" chest 34" to 37", up to NSN 8415 99 130 0617 (size 9) for height 5'11" to 6'2" chest 43" to 46"..........described as "Coverall, Combat Vehicle Crewmen's, Polyurethene on nylon, olive drab" with detail stating "Tank crews only"..........:-\

So still on issue during the late 1980s......

• 1 month later...